City Girl ~ A.Irwin

tw: curse words, a bit of angst // wc: 4,603

pairing: cowboy/farmer!Ashton Irwin x oc Mara Lewis 

plot: city girl, y/n takes a trip to her mothers friends farm in the southeastern part of Oklahoma. she thinks that it will be the worst summer of her life, but it turns out be the best. 

a/n: I gave y/n's mom a name (Lottie) so that it would be easier to write for me, hope that isn't a bother :) but pls enjoy and PLS give me feedback it would help a lot!!!! also if you would like to read the x reader version on Tumblr go right ahead, I just figured I would post the oc version here :) my Tumblr is calumsendgame 

The beginning of summer.

  "Mom what do you mean, i'm leaving with you for the summer?" She says, following herr mother down the stairs of the house, a bit confused. "Well you remember Anne right? My friend who i went to college with and we kinda drifted apart once she got married? Well we were talking the other day and she invited both you and me out to where she lives for a few weeks!" She pulls out a notepad and writes down a few things for the store.

"Well, where does Anne live?" She asks, sitting in the chair next to her mother. "On a farm down in southeastern oklahoma. You'll love it."

She looks at her mother, her jaw dropped a little and her eyes widened a bit. "Well i barely remember Anne, and a farm? Mom we are not farm people." Her mom gets up and walks to the fridge, Mara following. "Oh come on, you love the outdoors!" Her mother cheers, turning to her.

Mara stuttered a little but finally gathered her words, "I like our outdoors. Not sticky humid air and itchy grass and bugs the size of Aunt Mary's wedding ring." She explained using various hand gestures. Her mother rolled her eyes, "You will love it, now come on i need to go to the store and get a few things, so go get your shoes on."

-

  As soon as they got back from the store, she helped her mother with the groceries and setting them in the pantry and fridge. "So, when are we leaving?" she asks, putting the bread below the cabinet next to the fridge. "Friday." She responds, putting on a pot of boiling water and starting to cut up carrots and potatoes for stew.

"Mom thats in two days!" Mara argued, closing the fridge rather harshly. "Well i knew that you wouldn't want to go anyways. So i just told Anne to make room at her house for two. You never want to do anything with me anymore."

"So the solution was to spring this trip up on me with only two days notice?" She barked, her hands supporting her body on the kitchen island. "Mom i would have gone anyways, if you would have given me at least a weeks notice. I had plans this weekend." She lies through her teeth and her mother knows it, "Oh yeah? With who?" She teasingly asked, and Mara rolled her eyes a huffed.

"Okay i didn't have plans but i could have had plans!" She storms off up stairs, sitting on her bed. She can feel her face getting hot and her insides suddenly feeling like they are constricted. She bounced her right leg up and down, facing the pastel blue walls she and her mother had painted when she was fourteen, that now being just about seven years ago.

She pulled open her closet doors, staring at all of her sun dresses, leggings and nike shorts with a few tank tops. She sighed, putting her hands on her hips, not knowing what to take. She grabbed her phone and called her friend Valerie.

"Mara i was thinking about you!" she cheered on the other line, and Mara rolled her eyes a little. "Okay long story short my mom and i are going to a farm for the summer, and i have no clue what to take. All i have are sun dresses, tank tops and nike shorts."