Chapter 52: Paediatrics

**Trigger warning for sexual abuse**

Kelly is a 5-year-old girl, cute, quiet, who presents with vaginal discharge. Vulvovaginitis in the sexually-inactive and -immature do occasionally happen and they get better with antibiotics. However, something wasn't right.

Kelly was examined in A+E by two male doctors. She freaked out. Screamed the place down. Her mum said that wasn't like her at all. Kelly also refused to tell her mum she had symptoms and would clam up every time she was asked. It was only in A+E when she was examined did her mum realise the extent of the discharge in her private area.

The resident admitted her. When she managed to gently coax Kelly to disrobe and be examined, Kelly said, "Please don't put it in."

The resident paused. "What do you mean by 'put it in'?"

Kelly didn't say any more. The examination was painful despite the resident's gentle hands.

Mum later said she had been away for a few days earlier on in the week due to work obligations. Kelly had been left with her dad -- the parents are separated and it sounded like it wasn't a nice separation, either -- who had taken her to visit some friends during that time Mum was away. Dad wasn't present during the admission.

Watching Kelly toddle about with her mum, cheerfully chattering away with Sammy when they bump into each other in the corridor, watching her doodle and painstakingly colour in pictures -- I am filled with a burning fury by the implications. I don't know if we'll get to the bottom of this -- evidence would be hard to come by and Kelly's account might not be considered accurate due to her age. The parents' difficult relationship meant Mum pressing charges might make things even messier.