Chapter Seven - Tightly Wired

Start from the beginning

"He mentioned going to the Cunningham art gallery, followed by dinner and drinks in the restaurant next door"

"So not jeans and a t-shirt then?"

"Maybe not jeans and a t-shirt, but I'm pretty sure both the gallery and the restaurant are artsy and underground."
"That helps" I replied, allowing the sarcasm to drip from my words.

"You'll be alright." Isla replied sounding much surer than I felt.

The urge to wuss out was becoming harder to ignore. My motivation was weak, and the idea of putting myself out there just because Xavier had rejected me was pathetic.

"Scar... You know dating isn't a wedding right." She murmured, sensing my hesitation. "Go, have fun, and if you like him. Great, if you don't no big loss."

"I feel like such a novice." I replied.

"I bet one drink with Noah and that feeling will drift away"

I sighed deeply, god I hoped she was right.

"You just need to rip the band-aid off."

She was right. Ryan and to a certain extent, Xavier, had attached themselves to horrible memories that wouldn't leave me. The memories had served as constant reminders of just how hurt I'd been.

Seeing Xavier again had challenged my thinking, how I saw him had changed and suddenly the hurt he'd caused me had faded. I'd thrown myself at him, and while it was unrequited it proved just how ready I was to move on, I just hand to make the first leap.

Seeing Ryan had made me angry. Forgiving him wasn't going to be easy, especially considering he felt the remorse of a stick. So I'd have to resolve to forgetting him. He didn't matter, the sex tape I didn't star in didn't matter.

I had to start living my life.

"Alright, 7pm then."

After I got off the phone I ran back to my room to find something to wear. Finally I settled on a teal colored singlet, a lacy black shirt and black jeans. I showered around 6pm, then once I was dressed I sat at the table and waited, I tapped my fingers on the top like a drum, the beat relaxing me just enough not run around the house pulling my hair out.

I felt like I was made up of 50% nerves and 50% fear. So when 7pm rolled around and there was a knock at the door I almost fell of my chair in shock. I forced myself to take a long deep breath and walked across the kitchen floor to the front door.

I opened it, and looked up, I expected to see a new face, a face I didn't recognize. But I saw Xavier.

He stood there with a smile on his beautiful face. His hair was pulled back and I noticed for the first time that his ear was pierced. I smiled back like a goon. A lovesick goon.

"I know I should have called, I just, I needed to come back and apologize. I was an asshole before and well, the truth is I.." He stopped speaking.

A car pulling in to the drive caught Xaviers attention. He turned and looked "Whose that?"

I felt my face flush, I hadn't expected to be going on a date the same night I'd kissed Xavier. Not that it mattered. He didn't want me, and it was just a meaningless kiss.

"My date" I whispered.

Xavier's head flicked back around, his eyes were wide, there was something inside them, an emotion, one he was doing a good job blocking off. He smiled again and nodded.

"Of course. I'll uh... I'll call you tomorrow and we can hang out. If you still want to be friends that is"

"Xavier... Yes"