(13) The Greatest Favor

(This isn't edited by the way...)

The Greatest Favor . . .

"You know what's weird," Jeremiah asked looking towards the ceiling thoughtfully

"What," I asked smiling and rolling my eyes playfully. He was definitely at it again.

"If vegetarians only eat veggies . . ." he trailed with a look of concentration on his face. " . . . Then what do humanitarians eat?"

My head hit the table as I fell forward in silent laughter. I gasped for air and grabbed my sides.

Leaning back in my seat I stared up at the ceiling and continued to laugh. "Jeremiah, you're making me laugh too hard," I said trying to calm down.

"Sorry," he said and chuckled. "That just seemed strange to me," he said with an amused glint in his eye. "I wanted to share it with you."

I giggled and rolled my eyes again. "You know exactly what you were doing," I said giving him a knowing look.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," he said quickly and began shoving fries in his mouth.

"Whatever," I said smiling down at my own plate of unfinished fries and a half eaten burger. I sighed and glanced around the café style restaurant.

There weren't many people in here. There was an elderly couple on the far side sitting in a booth beside one another. You could tell they were happily married by the way they were smiling and holding hands.

I smiled at that.

There was a middle-aged man with a girl, about 8 or 9. They shared the same color dark brown hair and you can tell they were related. They faintly reminded me of my father and me when I would come here with him.

"Are you okay," Jeremiah asked gaining my attention. "If you're ready for me to take you back to your school then I will."

"No, I'm fine," I said placing my hands in my lap. "I'm actually enjoying this," I admitted, smiling sheepishly and looking down at me hands.

He cleared his throat causing me to look up at him. He wore an expectant look, one of his eyebrows raised. "Isn't there something you'd like to tell me," he asked cocking his head to the side.

"Um," I said narrowing my eyes at him.

"I prefer you say 'thanks' but I can settle with 'I love you'," he said quickly and took a sip of his drink.

"What," I asked laughing.

"Nothing," he said shaking his head, a small smile on his face. "You done eating? I wanted to take you somewhere since it's not raining anymore."

I looked out the window, noticing that the sun was now peeking out through the clouds. The weather here is so bipolar. "Yeah, I'm done."

Nodding, he called over the waiter.

"What can I do you for," the female waiter, maybe about 19 or 20, asked biting her bottom lip. I guess the uniform here was to wear the shortest black skirt you can find and a white button blouse that was a size too small.

I stifled a laugh but covered it by coughing.

"You okay," Jeremiah asked worriedly.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said waving a dismissive hand.

The girl glared at me before returning her attention back to Jeremiah. "Is there anything I can get you," she asked in a seductive manner, purposely turning her back to me.