(16) The Shay We Once Knew

The Shay We Once Knew . . .

"Oh, gosh, I see him," Shay whispered frantically. She turned towards me and Kayla. "I don't think I can go through with it."

I glanced behind her at the group of guys far down the corridor. They were positioned in a sloppy circle talking and laughing with each other.

"Oh, you're doing it alright," Kayla said giving Shay a stern look. "Now, what's your name?"

"Oh, not this again," Shay groaned in an annoyed voice, running a hand down her face in frustration.

"What's. Your. Name," Kayla asked again, stressing every word and giving an expectant look as she did.

"Shay Walker," Shay mumbled rolling her eyes and sighing loudly.

I clamped my hand over my mouth, forcing myself not to laugh. This was the second time Kayla had made Shay do something like this. The first was actually pretty funny too, now that I think about it.

"I can't hear you," Kayla pointed out in a sing song voice, bouncing from left to right.

"Shay Walker," she repeated, growing a little louder while shifting her weight to her left leg.

"What was that," Kayla asked leaning in dramatically and cupping her right ear.

"Shay fucking Walker," she yelled loudly.

The chatter that was around us ceased to a quiet whisper as people stopped and stared at the three of us with bewildered looks. I palmed my forehead and sighed, slightly shaking my head.

"Geez, Shay," Kayla said whispering and looking around at the staring people. "You didn't have to be so loud. I was standing right here."

"But you just— ah, forget it," Shay said folding her arms across her chest. "Now I'm just ready to get this over with."

"Yeah, that's the spirit," Kayla said punching Shay lightly in the arm but quickly dropped her hand when Shay glared at her.

"Then go do it already," I exclaimed giving her a small push in their direction.

She nodded and relaxed her shoulders, inhaling and then letting it out audibly. "Here goes nothing." With that she walked off.

I grabbed Kayla's arm, linking it with mine, and pulled her next to me. "Who do you think it is?!"

"I have no idea at this point," she said straining her neck to get a better look at the group of guys. "Knowing Shay it could be all of them."

I nodded in agreement and continued to watch Shay saunter confidently down the hallway. "Do the flip, do the flip," I chanted under my breath and crossed my middle and index fingers.

Right as I said it she tilted her head to the side, allowing her long brown hair to cascade down her arm then used her right hand to whip it back over her shoulder. It seemed as if all the male eyes were like magnets to her once she did that.

"She did the flip thingy," Kayla said excitedly. "She totally has this now!"

I smiled like a proud mother as Shay grew closer and closer to them. "She's growing up so fast," I said placing a hand over my heart.

Kayla laughed but nodded anyway.

The guy she liked could really be any one of them. Shay had great taste in guys and they at least had to be a pro in the looks department.

Standing in the group was Austin Marino, who was on the football team, Noah Warren, the hot soccer player, Nick Wellington, also on the football team, Jason Matthews, Kayla's friend (wink, wink), Alex Newman, also on the football team, Mason Foster, the blonde soccer player, Mike Welsh, from the basketball team, and then there was Gabe.