III

"I don't know yet. I applied for five agencies and none of them has contacted me yet." I said on my phone as my eys scanned down the isle at the convenience store.

I threw a medium sized box of choco chip muffins, three packets of Marlboro and four cans of beer inside my basket. The store was quite empty so I was saved from the usual scrutinizing gazes from the people. I strolled around lazily.

"Well, I have nothing to do until I anyone contacts me, do I?" I scowled, hearing the voice over the phone.

I walked up to the counter sluggishly where an old man was snoring without any care in the world. I rolled my eyes as I watched him drool all over his shirt.

"I don't know when he is coming back or if he is ever coming back," I said calmly as the other side remained silent, hearing me. "I don't care either way. He has no part in my life anymore."

The other side spoke carefully and I listened, until my anger flared up like wildfire. I put my basket on the counter forcefully and the impact made the old man jolt awake.

"Don't ruin my mood now," I gritted my teeth. "I don't care what anyone thinks nor did I ever." Then I hang up abruptly.

The old man at the counter was going to give me scowl, but as soon as he opened his eyes, he froze in his spot as if he has seen a ghost. I sighed.

That's what I was in this society. A freaky ghost.

Then he scanned my face closely, not to mention my appearance didn't go unnoticed by him either. I stood there impatiently tapping my foot on the floor. After that he checked my items in the basket and when I saw my packets of Marlboro and cans of beers, he raised his brows at me in a judgmental way.

I sighed for the second time before taking out my ID card from my wallet and shoved it in his frowned face. He stepped back.

"I'm not underage." I said, annoyed.

He still gave me a look before packing up my things. I paid the price and got out of the convenient store slowly.

No sooner had I got out of the store, a light gust of icy, cold wind brushed past my skin. Even if I was wearing only a black tank top, I didn't feel much cold, as I was quite used to it. Still, I took out my red fluffy muffler and wrapped it around my neck.

"Now, now, I can't let my beautiful voice get ruined, can I?." I mumbled to myself.

I took a packet of Marlboro and lit up a cigarette. People who walked past me gave me nothing but a look with furrowed brows. But I couldn't care less. I was cold and that little, thin stick between my red painted lips warmed me up from the inside.

Then I was off to my home.

_

Living alone always had some privileges if you can ignore some problems.

One of the best thing was that, you are all your own. No one to nag, no one to interfere with your business. I could live the way I want. I could do whatever I want.

But don't think I live a reckless life. I'm quite simple actually.

With rigid shoulders and a throbbing pain in the head, I entered my empty house after a long hectic day. I had to audition at the BigHit Entertainment and MS Entertainment today. Though I sang at only one audition- at BigHit only- as the MS didn't even allow me to sing the full song. I was declined even before that.

 My throat's condition was good, so I can say, it went pretty well. At least, they let me sing the full song there. None of the other four agencies didn't even let me finish my whole song as they started various questions. Questions I've been answering since my teenage years.

Whatever.

I turned on the lights, yawned, then went to the kitchen to prepare dinner.

I absolutely hated ramen. There was no such thing as instant noodles in my house, even if I was broke that month. I bought some spicy rice cakes on my here and I prepared some fish cakes too.

I had my supper in the living room while watching TV. There were some music shows showing and I skillfully avoided those channels.

I love music. It was my only reason behind living in this world.

But you see, I couldn't bear to watch girl group songs for a long time. They portray such happy and joyful environment which makes me laugh at myself. The world was not a place like that. I wasn't a delusional fool.

I turned the TV off and decided to go with the songs I love. I took out my headphone and connected it to my iPod. I fished out the packet of Marlboro from my jeans pocket and lit one stick up. I took my guitar and started playing a specific tune.

I inhaled and released a puff of smoke. My cigarette created smoke rings in the air as I stared at them in a daze.

My whole life was smoky, blurry; it represented me. Nothing in my vision was clear. Everything was uncertain and I was amazed that I've survived almost 21 years in this shitty world. Yay for me.

I chuckled, on my own.

See, another good thing about living alone. You could laugh, on your own.

Suddenly my phone rang out aloud ripping off the thin silence draped around me and interrupting my long train of thoughts.

"Hello." I said in boredom.

"Hello, is this Faith Kim speaking?"

"Yeah, that's me."

"I'm the executive director of BigHit Entertainment, Chae Lee Sung."

"Oh," I raised my one brow. "The judge."

A sound of chuckling was heard. "Yes, the judge. I would like to tell you that you've passed today's audition, which means you got accepted as a trainee in the BigHit Entertainment."

With my red and black guitar lying beside me on helplessly, I sat on my maroon couch, frozen at this sudden good news. My mind blanked out and I forgot how to react.

"Faith-sshi? You're still there?"

"U-uh, yes!" I gathered my composure quickly. "I was just surprised a little."

"Well, that's expected." She said. "If you're interested, I expect you to arrive at... Okay, the time will be emailed to you, and sign the necessary contacts. The conditions and requirements will me discussed tomorrow as well."

"Oh, okay. I will come."

"Thank you and that's all. Don't forget to check your mail box. See you tomorrow, Faith Kim."

The phone call ended with a beep.

I inhaled my cigar and let out another puff of smoke in the air. I stared outside the window; the busy nights in Seoul never failed to amaze me. The bitter smell lingered in the air as I sat in the middle of it. This bitter yet somehow comforting smoke had been surrounding me all my life that it had already become a part of me. This hazy, bitter smoke was what my life was all about.

Maybe this time I won't get lost in this hazy air anymore.

Maybe finally I found the anchor in my life, ready to settle down while following my dreams I've been chasing since my childhood.

_

A/N: What do you guys think about Faith? I want to know what sort of impression did the protagonist create in your mind? Let me know your opinions.

Don't forget to vote if you liked it.