Hope is still alive

Start from the beginning

"This could work" Brendan finished explaining his plan to Opal. "You want us to go back to the woman we lied to and stole from, and ask her for help" Opal was skeptical. "I know it's a long shot, but what choice do we have. Ashley is the only person who can speak for Louis now. Plus she seems reasonable." Brendan fought "You have a point...but what if she gets pissed at us and sides with Gladys. It's a big risk." Opal voiced her concerns "Let's do it" Opal sighed, honestly what did she have to lose. If she gave up, she would lose the twins, and that was unacceptable. "So when do we go?" Opal hyped herself up; this was her last chance.

Opal dreaded leaving the kids once more, but the court date was approaching fast, and they had nothing. Luckily the trip was quick, and in less than 3 hours Brendan and Opal stood outside of Ashley's apartment once more. "I got to tell you I'm kind of excited to tell the truth. The lies and schemes aren't me." Opal confessed while waiting for Brendan to knock on the door. "Yeah, I know how hard this has been for you. This will all be over soon." Brendan smiled. "This feels right" Opal sighed with relief "Let's hope she forgives us." Brendan knocked and held out hope for a happy outcome.

After a minute or two Ashley opened the door with a scowl. "Brendan, Opal what's going on?" Ashley asked confused. "May we come in? There is something we need to ask you." Brendan asked, and released the breathe he hadn't realize he was holding.

"Wait, wait, wait. This is all too much" Ashley tried to process everything she heard. "I know it's a lot trust me, all I wanted was to be a mother, and here I am competing with what feels like a supervillain" Opal let out a nervous laugh. "We are sorry for deceiving you, but we were desperate and needed your help. After what Mrs. Betty said we didn't think you would have helped if we asked." Brendan explained. "Oh Mrs. Betty, I only said I wasn't interested in helping that crazy bitch Gladys." Ashley sucked her teeth in disdain. "Look I don't know what happened to my brother. He does this disappearing act every now and again. He is as unreliable as always. To be honest, he came to me in the middle of the night asking for a place to stay. Stayed for a few days and left, that's Louis for you." Ashley explained.

Opal and Brendan exchanged uneasy looks, they had been avoiding telling Ashley about Louis long enough. "Ashley there is something you need to know about Louis." Brendan reached out a hand for her and relayed the terrible tale of Louis.

Opal was stunned by how well Ashley was coping. No tears, no screams, no lashing out at us. Nothing but silence "Ashley are you okay?" Opal asked worried about the woman's mental state. "I knew this was coming, Louis walks in and out of my life for years but this time felt different. This time felt like it was final. You know he even said goodbye to me. He never says goodbye, not since our Mom died. It was always just 'see you later,' but this time he just said he's sorry and goodbye." Finally, the tears started to roll. "Did he suffer?" Ashley asked, "No he went peacefully, at least that's what the nurse told me." Brendan tried to reassure her. "I'm so sorry, we came to late to help" Opal felt herself tearing up all over again. "It's not your fault, it's nobodies job to chase after my stupid brother. I should have known this was coming. When he was married, he was fine, but you know how addicts are always teetering on the edge of a breakdown. When Heather came into his life, I thought he would be okay. In fact, he was until cancer took her away. God, I can't believe he is gone." Ashley wiped the tears away, Brendan went in search of tissues.

"I am so sorry for your loss Ashley, but since Louis is gone, we don't have any other options than to come to you. We need someone to speak on his behalf. Someone that can say Louis didn't want Gladys to have the children." Opal felt dirty interrupting this solemn moment, but time was a luxury they didn't have. "Of course he didn't want her to have the kids, not even Heather wanted her to have them." Ashley gave an empty chuckle. "May I ask why? I mean it seems weird not to go to the grandparents first." Opal had asked the question that boggled her since Gladys showed up. "Because of Gladys controlling attitude, Gladys never even let Heather go to Highschool, she homeschooled her she wouldn't give the poor girl permission go to the mall without her hovering. Gladys was nagging, cruel, and impossible to please. Heather was a smart, kind woman who could never get her mothers approval. As soon as Heather turned 18 she split, a few years later she started got married to my brother, who convinced her to make amends with her mother. Gave it all they could, but still couldn't reach the block of ice that is her mom. For years Gladys wouldn't speak to Heather, even when she was on her deathbed, Gladys never apologized for the way she treated them. Evil Hag." Ashley told her story, Opal lost all sympathy for Gladys. "What about the father?" Opal asked. "That man was a drunken pawn. He was just as miserable as Heather was, but instead of leaving he drank and fucked his way through her childhood. That man is going to die in a bitter marriage." Ashley chuckled once more.

"So will you help us?" Opal asked hopeful for once. "I'll do you one better, I have proof that Heather would never want Gladys to have those kids." Ashley smiled, Opal couldn't believe her good fortune. This could be the end of her nightmare.