Chapter 4

After around 30 minutes, I finish the dress and hold it up in front of the mirror that was hoisted up on the wall. Holding the side of it up, which had been ripped all down the side of the skirt, I investigate closely. Everything looked brand new. Pleased with my workings, I hang it up and place it back in the dress bag before zipping it up, careful not to catch any part of the dress in the zip. I carry it out and lay it out on the leather couch she was sat on. The lady walks over to counter to pay.

"How much do I need to pay?" Her young-but-also-old voice asked. Ellie looks at me and I look at the board stuck to the counter.
"That will be 12 shillings" I smile and the lady nods and pays before thanking us. Ellie unlocks the door and watches the lady walking out, sighing breaths of relief. I write down her name and address like all other customers, just incase something was to happen with our work or whatever. We both walk out and Ellie locks the door behind her.

Slowly, we stroll to the address on both mine and Ellie's keys before realising that the place must have been our house. I unlock the door and walk inside, feeling the homey feeling you get when you walk into your house. There were pictures hung on the wall. Pictures of me, pictures of Ellie, and pictures of us with a man and child. One of them was the same photo on Ellie's keyring. Ellie steps inside the house out of the rain and darkness before closing the door. After both of us hanging our coats up, the house suddenly started to feel familiar... and even more like home.

The first place I walk to is the living room, seeing the emerald walls, mahogany leather couches and so on. The room was made up of a range of colours that were mainly dark. Sure, I wasn't a dark person whatsoever but that was the style of this era, and that's how I liked it. The whole house was beautiful and there was nothing I could love more. I feel like I've been living here forever. Taking in the scent of the rooms and the woods, I sit myself down at the table in the kitchen, taking in everything around me.

Ellie stopped as a piece of paper caught her eye on the unit. It was a war death telegram about a man, 32, called Lawrence Falcone. "That name seems so familiar" she whispers to herself and picks it up to find out more information. As she read down, she got to the family section of the telegram and read:
Lawrence Lester
Killed in action July 26th, 1916
Wife: Ellie Abbe Lester
Children: Hunter-Jonathan Lester
In laws: Megan Esme Falcone
"So... this explains it all. Why do I feel nothing towards his death but everything towards my son I've never met?"