Chapter 65

The nurse blinks in disbelief as her mind tries to process what the woman just said. All she sees is a woman covered in blood. One might assume an abusive relationship or a terrible accident but certainly not kidnapping. The entire world seems to stop and the hospital goes silent. The male nurse has stopped wheeling her and the female nurse next to him tries to comprehend everything.

"I...I don't understand."

"That man out there is not my husband. He's my abductor. He drugged and kidnapped me from a bar more than a few months ago, holding me captive and raping me in the hopes of getting me pregnant." Emma says bluntly.

"A-Are you pregnant?"

"I am..." Emma says. "But I don't know how long I've been pregnant. I faked a miscarriage to get him to bring me out of the cabin he had me locked in. I really only cut my hands." She shows the nurses her cuts to back up her claim.

Finally, reality sets in.

"Get to her a doctor for an examination," the female nurse orders. "I'm calling security and the sheriff to have the man arrested. What's his name?"

"Arthur King," Emma says, feeling great relief that her captor was having his ass handed to him. Justice would be served and she would finally be free.

"Have a warrant out for his arrest. Where are you from originally?"

"Boston, I have friends and a son waiting for me there, please call them immediately," Emma says before she's rolled away for a full examination.

The nurse rushes to the nearest phone and dials 911.

"Hello?" the sheriff says.

"Sheriff Brown, you're not going to believe this..."

...

David sits at his desk completely stressed out. He just got another call from August and the search was not fruitful, plus with Anna, now out of commission the hopes of keeping Emma's case open is slimmer and slimmer. He's nearly having a mental breakdown. It's taking a toll on his health and he's constantly separated from his wife and son. He glimpses a picture of all three of them on the corner of his desk, barely visible through all the paperwork.

The lieutenant is at his breaking point, he puts his hands over his eyes to cry silently. The news was spreading through the office, Nova was the one to tell him that Gold is putting Emma's file on the cold case file. The problem is, David doesn't feel like he has the fight left in him anymore. There's been nothing from Emma in over three months, no evidence nothing... it might as well be the end. He's letting down everyone he loves; his wife, Henry, Killian, Regina, Ruby, the entire police force, his newborn son who would never meet his godmother and finally most of all, Emma. She's relying on all of them. That phone call was a cry for help, a pleading for assistance... for anything and David had failed her the most. How could he live with himself now?

From down the hall, he hears the familiar thud of Gold's boots. Those clunky military boots that he insists on wearing as part of his Commissioner's uniform and David's heart races. He has to keep fighting and putting himself at risk of losing his job too. Everything seems like a hopeless situation.

There is a knock and David mutters to come in. Gold stands in the center of the room in full uniform.

"May I sit?" he asks.

David swallows and shrugs.

Gold's expression is unreadable and this makes Lieutenant Nolan's stomach twist with anxiety and fear. The commissioner sits down and faces the lead investigator.

"David..." he begins.

Suddenly, the phone rings, completely interrupting their conversation.

"Sorry," David says. He picks it up, glad for the distraction.