Chapter 49

"And you're certain this is the plate number?" David asks August.

August sits in David's office with the new information that he's gathered. He's decided to keep in close contact with the police. Even though he's not employed by the law, they are the ones who will bring this guy to justice. At the same time, the private investigator will be able to do things that the police couldn't, like not having to report to a supervisor and using high-tech spy equipment.

"100%" the private investigator nods. "I double checked with him, he says that he was coming back from a business trip and was staying in a motel in Connecticut. When he got home, his partner noticed that his plates had been switched."

"Well now we know we're looking for the right car," David says, so relieved. He turns to Jack in the corner.

"I want to set up a news conference for today if possible. I want all this new evidence to be given to the public. We must make sure Emma's face doesn't fade from the media any more than it has. We know she's alive and we have to find her before he tries to move again. The word needs to go out to look for this car, with the license plate and Arthur King himself. If he's keeping Emma somewhere, if they can't find her, the public can find him."

"I'm on it David," Jack nods.

"I also want the public to be told that the children have been found. I also want an update on his description, the kids told the Connecticut officers that he'd shaved his head."

"Anything else?" the young officer asks.

"Pray that we get some leads."

David then radios for Nova to come in.

"What's up, David?" she asks.

"I want you to get in touch with all the state border patrols to be on the lookout for the car, but also see if you can get any security footage to any of the states that are adjacent to Connecticut and that includes Massachusetts."

"I'm on it,"

"Give them the description of the car and our number," David says, handing her the information.

"Will do Lieutenant. How are Mary and the baby doing by the way?"

"We brought him home yesterday, he's such a strong little guy."

"Keeping you up at night though huh?" Nova asks, noticing the bags under David's eyes.

"He's got quite the pair of lungs," the new father says, cracking a tired smile.

"Just like his Daddy," Nova teases before exiting the office.

David goes back to his desk and begins to add August's notes to the file.

"Do you really think this guy would come back into Massachusetts?" August asks.

"It would make sense if you think about it," David says. "It'd be a smart move. He could assume that all of us would be keeping an eye on the Mexican and Canadian borders and not watching the state borders. He could be right under our noses and keep Emma hostage for as long as he wants. Also, Boston is only one of many cities in this state alone and if he's somewhere else, he's out of our reach and we can't arrest him."

August nods, putting his hand over his face and scratching his dark beard. "That is very true. Small towns, hamlets or even the country would be a great place to hide. If you were in a large city, you could not keep a hostage very well, especially in an apartment building, but you would get more cover. In a small town, you could keep a hostage quite easily but people would notice the new face easily..."

"Are you thinking of calling small towns in Massachusetts and ask if there are new faces?" David asks.

"It does seem kind of unrealistic, stupid even, but it's a start..." August says, writing down a few things in his notebook.