Chapter 8

Henry wakes up to something very unusual... absolute silence.

He stretches out and rubs his eyes, gathering his bearings. He was surprised that his hearing was still working after the loud music at the party last night. He was still wearing his clothes from the night before because he was too exhausted to move anywhere but to bed.

He'd had an awesome time, dancing, talking with his other peers, watching games of beer pong, hanging by the pool and pond, taking pictures and getting to know Violet. Henry had spent most of the night with her and he was absolutely amazed that she wasn't some wild party animal. She did let her hair down, dancing and socializing, but she didn't drink or do drugs. In fact, she drank punch with him and even introduced him to some of her friends. Her friends were very intoxicated and were putting their hands on any boy in their sight, including Henry himself. He tried to stop their advances, but he did end up in a few grinding sessions with some of them.

Henry felt out of place most of the night. He didn't know the songs very well; he didn't know what was considered "dancing" and he was forbidden to go near drugs or alcohol. He had been offered some, but he turned them down. His mind flashes back to a moment during the party that stood out to him.

...

"I told you no, I don't want any!" Henry shouts at a guy over the music.

"What is wrong with you?" the guy, who was too old to be in high school groans. "This is stuff is top billing."

"I don't care," Henry says, trying to get around the guy who was standing in his way of escape.

The guy turns red, clearly high beyond belief and becoming angry by Henry's refusals. His heart began to race, thinking he might have to fight to get away.

Suddenly, Violet comes up to him and grabs his arm. "Henry, there you are, we've been waiting for you to come and play beer pong, everyone knows you're the best."

Henry is speechless, not knowing how to respond, but Violet drags him away from the man. His face is burning red because of Violet touching him. She pulls him through the crowds of hot, sweaty and drunk teenagers, who are screaming their lungs out to the music. A couple of girls try to coax him over, but Violet guides him away from the flashing lights and loud music. They get further away from the house, down by what might be a small pond or a brook. By the time she stops, the music is merely a deep beat and there's finally a relief from all the lights, so much so that he can see the moon and stars.

Henry lets out a sigh of relief and Violet lets go of his hand. She moves to the water's edge and Henry sees her remove her shoes. She sits on the bank and dips her feet into the water. She lets out her own deep sigh of relief.

With reluctance, Henry goes and sits down next to her, taking his shoes off and dipping them in the cool water next to her.

"You're welcome," Violet says in a playful voice.

"What? Oh yeah, thanks for saving me back there."

"Not a problem. I knew if you were on your own for too long, someone would come after you, try to coax you into buying drugs. Happened to me the first time too. Gary is the neighbourhood drug dealer and always finds his way to all the parties, hoping to make some cash. He doesn't know how to take no for an answer. He's a real jerk."

Henry is speechless. He sees Violet's face glow in the almost full moon. He thinks she looks very beautiful, her hair pulled back into a ponytail with curls. Her make-up is a little smudged from sweating, but nonetheless, she looks pretty.

"This happens to all newcomers at parties; they try to humiliate you for not joining in on the illegal activities. They'll call you a buzz kill and you won't be invited to any more parties. That's why I said you were good at beer pong, just to give you some cred." she explains. "Otherwise, they'd call you something very unpleasant or just make things worse for you."