Chapter 30

"Any luck Nova?" David asks, coming into the room.

"The cell phone company said that they would call the second they got the data," Nova says. "How's your wife?"

"She's resting at home, with a lot of convincing."

"What about the others?"

"Elsa took Henry, Killian, Regina, Anna, Leroy, Ruby and Lacey up the street to the café."

"Let's just hope we get a lead soon," Nova mutters.

Leroy comes into the room with a tray of coffees.

"You know since Gold fired you, technically you can't be back here," David says.

"I honestly don't give a damn about what Gold does to me," Leroy says. He offers a coffee cup to the female officer. "Double Mocha is foamy just the way you like it, Nova."

"Thank you, Leroy," Nova says, smiling warmly. Her cheeks glow slightly.

"And black with one sugar," Leroy says, handing the coffee to David.

"Thank you," David mutters.

"Any word yet?" Leroy asks.

"Nothing, but they said they'd get back to us by today," Nova says.

"Hopefully you can do it soon, no telling how long it will take before Gold tries to have this case shelved. Plus Captain Guyliner and Emma's son are close to mental breakdowns."

"I think we all are," Nova says. "I can't remember the last time I slept."

David nods in agreement. He decides to go get some fresh air and clear his head.

When he reaches the lobby of the station, he sees Elsa talking to Jack, Ruby is texting, Anna reading a magazine, Regina working on some paperwork for her real-estate business, Henry playing games on his phone and Killian leans back with his eyes shut as if in concentration. There was someone missing.

"Hey guys, Where's Lacey?"

"Not sure," Ruby says. "I think she went to the bathroom or something. It's weird, she bought two coffees and went that way." Ruby points down to where the station offices are.

David turns when he hears a high-pitched giggle. It's not Elsa flirting with Jack, but coming from down near the offices. Curious, David casually walks along with his coffee. As he gets closer, he sees that Gold's office door is ajar. He leans in just enough to listen in.

"Well, I've dated some jerks in my life that's for sure," Lacey's voice can be heard.

"I wish I could say the same," Gold's voice responds. "I was married to a vixen for two years, worst days of my life."

"How many times have you been married?" Lacey asks.

"Too many," Gold says in a very relaxed voice. "I was happy to be able to do my own laundry again that didn't include skinny jeans and John Mayer t-shirts."

Lacey gives a small giggle and Gold laughs along with her.

David is in disbelief, it's the first time he's heard Gold laugh in a genuine way. Ever since he started working at the station, the Commissioner has been nothing but serious, but now he was even cracking a joke, which was so alien coming from his mouth. He peers into the office to see Gold with his feet up on the desk, his uniform hanging loosely over his body and he drinks a coffee that Lacey no doubt bought for him. Lacey sat in the chair across from his desk, drinking her own coffee and smiling widely.

This is really weird; David thinks so himself. But maybe if Gold falls for Lacey, despite the age gap, maybe he'll be more relaxed and co-operative...?