Chapter 4

"Are you sure Lacey doesn't want presents for her birthday?" Emma asks, on the phone with Ruby.

"I'm sure, but be sure to bring dollar bills, though."

Emma rolls her eyes. She watches Henry as he swims laps at his team practice. Regina is also with her, checking her phone occasionally.

"I'll talk to you later," Emma says, hanging up on Ruby.

Regina is biting her lip. "What's wrong with Henry?"

"What do you mean?" Emma asks.

"He's swimming a lot slower than usual."

"How can you tell?"

"Well, look at him."

Emma peers over the railing balcony of the pool viewing gallery and picks her son out of the twelve other boys. She sees his light coloured cap go bobbing in and out of the water during breaststroke and sure enough, he's tailing his other teammates. Emma sighs, knowing this probably has to do with his mood and recent lack of confidence.

"Maybe I should take him out of swimming," she mutters out loud.

Regina doesn't say anything at first, just watches Henry go back and forth to the coach's whistle during front crawl.

"Wider arm strokes Swan!" the man hollers at him.

"I mean I know it's good exercise and all, but he's obviously not having fun," Emma says softly.

The pool was an Olympic size and very deep. It was divided by a large platform to allow other teams to practice as well. The water was always cold according to Henry and the chlorine stung his eyes and nose, despite him wearing goggles. The boys were only allowed to wear Speedo suits and had to have diving caps, adding to her son's mortification and dislike for the activity.

The coach's whistle blasts to stop them.

"Alright, everyone take a break. Re-hydrate. Swan, come and see me."

Emma leans over the railing of the balcony as she watches her son pull himself out of the water and walk towards his coach. Emma is practically over the railing, wanting to know what he's to her son talking about. Nothing positive probably.

Henry removes his swim cap and goggles, grabs his water bottle and goes to his coach. He knew the coach was going to criticize his lousy performance, which did not surprise him in the least. He used to like swimming a lot, but now his heart wasn't in it anymore, especially since his dad wasn't around to cheer him on. He had his mom and Regina, but it still didn't feel right.

"What's wrong with you Swan?" the coach says gruffly. "You're lagging behind everyone today. Your time is too high."

"I know," Henry mumbles, not wanting to look at his coach. He chugs from his water bottle.

"Are you sick?"

"No."

"Are you tired?"

"No."

"Are you hurt?"

"No."

"Then what could possibly be your excuse for such a poor performance?!"

Just then the synchronized swimming team comes out of the change rooms in their sleek and colourful bathing suits and diving caps. Several of them giggle at the boys in the Speedos and a few girls wave flirtatiously. Henry immediately turns bright red and wishes he had his towel to cover his skinny, speedo body. Most of the boys, including Henry, gawk and let their eyes wander towards the girls as their coach gathers the girls up, ready to practice their routine. One of the girls locks eyes with Henry and waves. He does his best to smile and wave back.