Chapter 14

"So Henry," Jack says, sitting down in the interrogation room with the kid. "Tell me what happened on Friday night?"

"Well..." Henry says. "I went to school like I usually did. I had a Spanish test that day and then I took the bus home."

Behind the glass, David, Nova, Leroy, Ruby, Killian, and Regina watch with intent. Mary Margret had been sent home, but Elsa and now Aurora were staying with her in case anything happened.

"Should we really be doing this?" Regina says with concern. "I mean there's no way he would abduct his own mother."

"He's an important witness Regina," David says, not taking his eyes off the kid. "I know it's unlikely, but you know we need to cover all the possibilities."

"He's not really a suspect anyways," Nova says. "We just need a timeline from him mostly."

"But he's only fifteen."

"He's stronger than he seems sister, relax," Leroy mutters.

"Was your mother there when you got home?" Jack asks.

"No, she wasn't home just yet. I'm usually by myself for a few hours afterward"

"What time does she usually show up at home?"

"It varies, but usually it's around 5:30 or 6. 7 is the latest."

"Okay,"

"I was playing video games when she came home and she got there after six. She made a quick dinner of mac and cheese before we both got ready for our parties."

"Yes, and who was driving you to the party?"

"My...friend, Violet Roberts, has an older sister, Juliette, who was going to drive us there."

"And what time was that going to be?"

"Around 8, I'm pretty sure."

"And what time did your Mom leave."

"Around 7:30, I'm pretty sure."

"Pretty sure?"

"I can't be 100%,"

"But you're sure she left the apartment."

"I saw her leave and she said good night to me."

"And then you went to the party?"

"Yes sir,"

"Is there anything I should be concerned about that happened at the party?"

A voice buzzes over Jack's walkie talkie.

"Stay focused, Jack," Nova reminds him.

"I didn't do anything illegal. I spent the whole night with my friend, Violet."

"Then what happened?"

"Officer David picked us up,"

"He did, did he?"

"Yes,"

"And what time was that?"

"After 1:00. David can vouch for that."

"I can," the voice crackles over the walkie-talkie.

"Okay, and was there any sign of your Mom when you got home?"

"No, the door was locked and the lights were out."

"Did you check her room at all?"

"No..." Henry sighs, wishing now that he had. Maybe he could have been a bit wiser and known something was wrong sooner.