Chapter 57

"You're sure that they won't help?" Regina asks, talking to Killian.

Regina sits at the table of Emma's apartment, doing some real-estate work while Mary Margret feeds Jacob and Henry is at school.

She sighs in frustration at Killian's answer. "Alright, well be safe for the next few days." She says before hanging up.

Mary Margret looks up at Regina with sad eyes.

"Another refusal," the real-estate agent sighs.

"Why can't people just open their hearts to help?" the teacher mutters.

"Not everyone is as kind-hearted as you," Regina says. "If everyone was like you, it'd be a scene right from a Disney movie, with songbirds and cheesy songs."

"And with magical fairy godmothers and poison apples," Mary smiles, checking on her son at her chest.

Regina smiles once and then tries to go back to her work.

It had been a long few months. Once Killian could walk again, she immediately moved back into her apartment, happy to have sanctuary and a decent mattress again. She did feel bad leaving Henry, but for now, but everyone in their circle of friends was taking shifts staying with the teenager, those who were not out scouring every forest in Massachusetts looking for his mother. Tonight, it was Mary Margret's night and she had set up a bassinette for Jacob in Emma's room as well as a high chair. Everyone's life basically rotated around Emma's apartment. It was their "home base" so to speak where everyone was kept updated and informed about the investigation.

Regina runs a hand through her hair. She had been working so hard, she felt like she was a balloon that was deflating more and more each day. This was search was going nowhere... but everyone was holding out hope. Emma was alive... somewhere out there and could very well be... pregnant.

Regina stared down the hall into Emma's room where Jacob's bassinette was set up. It looked out of place at first but considering that if Emma is found... she might be needing it. All of it was a hunch of course, but if the kidnapper was insistent on forcing Emma to conceive a child, she must be by now. He wouldn't keep her if she wasn't... It must have been what she wanted to tell Killian and everyone. Regina kept this secret to herself, not breathing a word to anyone for fear it would ruin Henry's life and stress out everyone else. Especially Killian. If he could run off, get drunk and crash into a tree at the thought of her being raped; imagine what he might do if she is pregnant.

Her phone buzzes on the table. A familiar name pops up. She can't help but smile.

She and Robin had been growing closer and closer, becoming good friends despite how Regina felt for him. After their kiss, he was forced away to deal with his ex-wife and son. They didn't really talk about it that much and seemed to just become friends all of a sudden. That still didn't stop her from thinking about the kiss and wanting to be with him more. Her heart would always race when he was in the room and she'd become lost in her blue eyes. She felt like she was walking in some sort of dream, she was the queen and he was her night in shining armour. She hadn't felt like this since Daniel, and even then, this was much deeper.

The two of them shared secrets with one another and talked about their days over coffee or on the couch of the apartment. She even bought Christmas presents for him and his son as a sign of their connection. She wished beyond all measure that she could ask him out on a date, but with the divorce and Zelena on the prowl all the time, she had shelved the idea a while ago.

She texts a response to Robin, asking how Roland is and Regina then catches Mary Margret's eye.

"What?" Regina asks.