T w e n t y - F o u r : Stars

c h a p t e r / t w e n t y - f o u r

s t o r y s t a t u s / o n g o i n g

* * *

I bit down on my bottom lip as I adjust the Polaroid picture to my liking, I believe I should stop looking at it sideways because that's how the picture was, it was crooked. A heavy sigh leaves my lips as I step back and rub my neck which was cramped up due to the time I had spent putting up pictures. It was 2020 which meant that I was going to try different things and also change my room a bit, so why not fill one-fourth of one of the walls of my room with Polaroid pictures that I've taken?

"Lanny?" Mom yelled from downstairs.

I took the double-sided tap container from the withholding of my mouth and spoke out loud. "What?"

There was no response so I proceeded to fix the picture of my neighbor's dog George on the wall.

"Lanny!!!" Mom hollered once again causing me to groan inwardly. Didn't she hear me?

I pulled back my hair into a low ponytail. "WHAT!" This time I said it louder, knowing she would be able to clearly hear me. Are all mothers the same?

"LANNY!!" She screams even louder this time which I become frustrated at, I grunt lowly and drop the picture of the Alaskan Malamute and the tape on my desk. I rush down the stairs in discomfort.

"Mom I heard you the first and second time, what do you want?" I questioned in an aggravated voice, hands going on hip once I spotted her in the living room.

"Honey, please wipe that sour look from your face it will give you wrinkles," She said nonchalantly.

I rolled my eyes at her. "Fine, but why were you calling me?"

She moved to a side and pointed a finger behind her. It was Cameron with a cup of lemonade at hand as well as a picture album. I darted my eyes at mom, of course, she'd do this ?! Do all moms' also embarrass their children this way?

My cheeks boiled up. "Mom what are you doing?"

I rushed over to the amused looking Cameron before me, his eyes had a glint of amusement in them as a grin grew on his lips. "She's just showing me pictures of bubble bath princess," He snickered, eyes clenched shut at how hard he was laughing.

I gritted my teeth and pulled the album from his grip and gave it to my mom. "Why are you showing him my childhood pictures?"

"He was telling me how he's in a band and I remembered when you were once into music. So I showed him the picture of you with makeup in the bathtub playing the-"

"Yes, I know the harmonica," I groaned, I mentally slapped myself.

I remember those photos and the way I looked too. That cold winter of 07' I drank a whole bunch of chocolate milk cartons, eventually, I got a sugar rush and decided it was a good idea to make a music video with my mom. So I put on some vibrant purple lipstick and blue eye shadow and got into the bathtub with my Barbie bathing suit. I looked like a little-drunk-hooker.

"Maybe Lanny should join the band, " He said jokingly which I shoved his arm at.

"Keep dreaming. "

He winced at my words in a playful manner, no unflattering facial expression made this man look bad, on the other hand, I always had a 'sour expression' like my mother had pointed out.

"So, why are you here?" I asked with raised brows.

It was weird of him to show up to my house like this when my Mom was home. And the only other time he did come to my house was just at my doorstep to pick me up that one time. I was curious about this action from him. He cleared his throat and brush his hair aside which by the way looked flawless, I was still proud of that haircut. He was hesitant because my mother was studying his figure with obvious wide eyes, I found that to be obnoxious and creepy. I grabbed Cameron by the arm and pulled him towards my room but Mom spoke loud in protest.