T h i r t e e n : The Invitation

c h a p t e r t h i r t e e n

s t o r y s t a t u s / o n g o i n g

s o n g / Sweet Escape : Gwen Stephani

* * *

       The night after the whole fiasco at home I had decided to ask my parents if I could go camping with Aster and her friends. They approved but I also asked if Charlie could come along but they denied that idea because they thought he wasn't old enough to go and no one his age would be there. My brother was quite mature for his age but I did get what they meant. I just felt so guilty for leaving him behind this weekend, but then again he calmed me by telling me that he was going to stay with his neighbor Axel who was a friend from school so that kind of settled my conscious.

      It was a normal Thursday evening, Aster and I were on our way to the Auto Parts store to get an oil change for her car, getting it ready for the trip. Florida was quite bipolar, yesterday it was freezing cold and now its so hot, it was always like this in the winter time so that's why my best friend had decided to go camping, we would be going to Ginnie Springs, their plans were to swim and dive but I was against that, the water would still be too cold for me. We were going to be leaving tomorrow evening so everything had to be ready today because we still had to go to school.

     She parked her car and looked over at me. Her eyes were tired, seemed like she didn't sleep last night. Now that was my fault I was talking to her last night to get my mind off of my parents, plus she had some gossip for me which I didn't like bickering about but that didn't mean I wouldn't listen in from time to time.

  "I'll go inside to get someone to change the oil and stay here and wait for whoever is going to help out because I'll be searching for some car scents inside, this old boy needs some love he smells like smoked ham," She said taking a sniff and scrunching her nose. That was true, her car always smelled like deli for some odd reason.

   I nodded at her. "Okay, don't be too long though I'm hungry," I pointed at my growling stomach which she rolled her eyes at.

      "When aren't you hungry Lanny?" She snickered before hopping off the car and rushing inside the store.

      I was finding ways to distract my brain because of my dismay I was a very impatient human being. I turned up the radio which was playing Sweet Escape by Gwen Stefani. I grinned at the song, it took me back to so many memories, 2006 was such a good year, I was a carefree child who only needed to worry about when Nickelodeon and Disney Channel shows to come on. I sang the lyrics as enthusiastically as I could forgetting no lyrics at all and throwing my hands in the air.

     That moment filled me with so much happiness and removed so many worries from my mind that is until there was a knock at the window that stopped me from looking like I was doing some wicked spell or something. I blushed, I was so embarrassing!

      I slowly lower the volume of the radio and the window as I compose myself, but it was Cameron wildly smirking away at me through the window. My cheeks burned, even more, I wanted to disappear so badly right now.

      "Well, well, well look who it is." He informed with humor lingering in his voice.

     I fixed my presence, flattening down my shirt and stepping my jittery feet out of the car. "What are you doing here?" I asked in a high frantic voice.

      He pointed down at his name tag. He was wearing a red uniform with the auto parts name stitched onto his shirt. I was so oblivious and silly, of course, he was here because he was working. It was still weird to see him, especially in a uniform. I thought he didn't work, which was stupid of me to think because Abbie doesn't pay him at the diner. And he must need a job to maintain his well being.

      I mentally scowl at myself. "Right..." I looked away from him and fumbled with my clammy fingers.

     Why was I so nervous around him suddenly?

     "So what did you get?" He questioned this time walking to the front of the car with a steel jack. I was confused at what he meant by that.

     I walked over to him awkwardly.

     I cocked my head to a side. "What?"

     He placed the jack under the car, after lifting to the level he desired he glanced up at me with those daring gray skies of his.

     "You know that essay you were stuck on."

     Oh that, I had a terrible memory.

     "I got a B."

     "That's good, glad you were able to write about something," He flashed a smile at me. Ugh, I liked this guy so much better sober if I didn't know he was a drinker maybe my thoughts on him would've been more positive on the start because he was a genuine person.

     I shifted. "Well, I know I could have done better but thanks..."

     The air felt weird, I don't know if it was the humidity or my lack of communication skills.

   He spoke up. "So...you guys are going camping huh."

    How did he know that?

     I gave him a curious glance.

       "Your friend in there talks way too much," He chuckled. Of course, Aster would tell him, she had a big mouth.

      "Oh yeah," I awkwardly stared holes into my Nike Bruins, I was trying my best to avoid him because the red on my cheeks was really starting to show.

      "Where are you guys going?" He questioned, curiosity roaming in his voice as he reached under the car to remove the old oil.

      I pinched at my shirt and shock at it because the sweat was starting to settle in and now was the only moment to do so because he wasn't looking and wouldn't have the chance to call me a weirdo.

       "Ginnie Springs," I cleared my throat. I was still recovering from my mini-concert scene in the car.

      " I've been there before it's a really nice and peaceful place," He informed shifting under the car. It was like a light bulb has just lightened above my head when he spoke.

    "Do you wanna come with us?" I asked in a nervous voice already regretting my question to him. What if he was gonna think I'm like a clingy girl or something?

     The rustling stopped from under the car. "Uhh."

    I interrupted him, feeling the nerves take over. "You can bring a friend if you want, but you don't have to come with us if you don't wa-,"

      "No, no I'd like to go," He stated and pulled from under the car to give me a sheepish grin.

     "When do you guys leave for the trip?" He got back under the car. Ugh, he was killing me, getting from under the car to give me his expression, that was goofy of him.

     "Tomorrow around four," I said.

    "Okay Goldie, I'll see you then."He confirmed as he finished up under the car.

    I was a bit nervous and excited at the same time because at that moment I thought he'd distract me from all the commotion going in Aster's love life, I didn't want to be weird around them so Cameron coming with us sounded about right to me. But what if we don't talk much and make things weird because of me?

     He had already said yes to going, I couldn't just uninvite him that'd be rude of me to do. Plus an open mind was good, I could focus on something other than Sebastian. I could focus on opening up more to this friendship with Cameron.

* **

Author's Note:

Hey, guys, it's me Aster, I'm hoping you guys enjoyed this chapter and the ones before these. I have already finished the chapters about the camping trip and I had fun writing them! I hope you all keep enjoying this story :). Also, what do you guys think about Cameron and his personality? Well me down in the comment section.

Love - Aster