They reminded her that the love of her life was a murderer. They reminded her that he put people in caskets and caused families to mourn. Sometimes she could block out those thoughts, but only sometimes. Whenever those thoughts popped up she had to remember that most people he dealt with were already criminals, but it only helped a little bit. To her, those people still had families just like her Victor had her waiting for him back at home.

To escape the thoughts that were making the funeral even worse, Novella scanned the room. She saw Sofia Falcone being rolled in and then she saw Jim approach the injured woman.

She tried redirecting him with her mind but to no avail. He still walked up to her and they still engaged in a conversation that Novella could tell was going to leave Jim in fits.

She observed the interaction between her father and Sofia Falcone with little interest. Making sure that she would be able to interject should something happen, but also taking care to not give away her eavesdropping. Apparently, Sofia wanted Penguin arrested but Jim didn't have enough proof —it was all very fishy to Novella.

She was brought out of her thoughts by Victor stirring beside her. He moved with grace and purpose up to the casket that held Carmine Falcone and dislodged a bullet from his gun. Novella knew this meant something to Victor, and probably to all hitmen, to lay a bullet in the casket with his boss.

He marched back down the aisle and only took a pause to wait at the end of Novie's row with an extended hand. She took it, wrapped her arm over his and together they walked out of that building without so much as a glance at the livid Penguin.

•*•*•*•

"How are you doing, Vic?" Novella grabbed onto Victor's hand that was hanging rather stiffly by his side. He'd been tense all afternoon and she could only guess at why.

"I'm fine, Nove, I am," he said, but she could tell he was holding something back. Maybe it was the way he seemed to bite his tongue or the way she could just see the gears going in his head.

"What're you about to do?" He gave her a face like he had no idea what she was talking about. She just raised her eyebrow like a disappointed parent. "Vic, we've been together for a while now meaning I know you well enough to know that face means trouble. You should know me well enough to know I'll dive head first into it with you."

Victor let out a laugh at the intent look on Novella's face. He didn't want her to be there when he betrayed Penguin, but he knew she'd insist,

"Penguin killed Falcone."

"I know. What're you gonna do about it?" She remembered asking that question just the other day. At that point, he'd said 'something horrific' she didn't know where he stood now.

"I'm going to call your dad."

•*•*•*•

Victor had most definitely called Jim and had done the one thing nobody except for Novie, could've seen coming. Victor betrayed Penguin. Novella didn't see how Victor could stomach to be around Penguin, especially after the call he'd made, but somehow he was able to, even as Penguin kept berating him.

"How is Jim Gordon beating us?!"

Novella rolled her eyes at the man that was just a little shorter than her. The action caused Penguin to turn on her, but just as he was about to yell at her, Victor stole the conversation back. But not without squeezing her hand just a little tighter to let her know to control herself.