For a single second, Time forgot to take her ever steady breath. Instead a silence fell onto the world as a moment existed outside of Her control. And in that space abandoned by Time, only they existed.

She was so close that he could see the thick eyelashes that framed her large, vivid eyes. Her warmth against him was so real that for a brief moment, he could forget that he had once been a lowly peasant and she a high born daughter of the Grand Vizier.

She pursed her lips at him, a dash of perfect pink against her snowy complexion. Two pink spots had appeared on her cheeks. He wondered how color so vivid and yet so soft could appear her skin. If he breathed too hard, will that color be blown away like new snow in the winter winds? His eyes trailed back to her mouth.

He had a sudden, terrifying thought. Would her lips taste as sweet as they looked?

Kyria looked up into a pair of eyes that had her image imprinted into them. She had never been so close with another man before. In this society where even a touch of fingers could be seen as improper, if anyone saw their position now...

Kyria bit back a grin.

Jinon saw her delicate movement, and as if there was a spell he could not break, he leaned down and kissed the lips he had thought about for the past three years.

She pulled back as if shocked by lightening. Frantic, she looked around, and then looked back into his eyes.

Panic, shock... and something inexplicable were all held in those irises. Gently, reluctantly, he set her down.

She jumped back, her hand to her lips. Slowly he lowered his gaze to the ground. After all said and done, he was lowborn and she was so far above him that heaven and earth separated them. How could she love him?

Hurt and sadness filled his heart, and there was a flame of anger too. Anger not at her, but that he would never be allowed to be with her. No matter how hard he worked, how many battles he had won, he would never reach this high born woman.

He drew out his sword and handed it to her, his hand gripping the blade tightly. A few drops of blood fell onto the grey stone path, doting the colorless land with tiny red suns. "I have dishonored you, you have to kill me." He closed his eyes and waited for her to pierce his heart.

Kyria looked at the idiot who wanted to die by her hands. Didn't he understand that she was only shocked, not displeased? Suddenly,a wicked thought came to her. She took the sword and threw it to the ground. With a small spell, his cuts were healed.

Hooking her delicate hand around his neck, she attacked his mouth with hers.

Jinon's brain exploded, as did his heart. They seemed to freeze at the moment, drowning in the warmth of their lips, breaking apart only to breathe.

Kyria's eyes widened as she blinked frantically, her lashes tickling his face. She gasped a little and her breath skidded over his lips. Her breath was like wild honey, it overwhelmed his senses.

There was no man in all of the six kingdoms who could best him with a sword. Yet she could defeat him with just a look. Suddenly her lips were gone.

"You didn't kiss back." She said, a tremor in her voice. She looked up into his eyes. Jinon saw a hint of tears at the corner of her eyes and every word about propriety and station flew out of his head. She looked at him accusingly, "Is it because you've kissed hundreds of women in your harem and find me lacking?"

Before she could saying any more nonsense, he leaned down and covered his mouth with hers. Two people who had never kissed before were slowly learning this dance of lovers.