Chapter 7

It took awhile for the house to become quiet again.

Taehyung remembered that Seokjin was still in the room with him. Considering that Taehyung had only just met Seokjin, he wanted to know more about him.

Taehyung stopped staring at the wall to turn to Seokjin, who had his eyes fixated on his shoes.

"Why do you call Jungkook crowned prince?"

Seokjin looked up from his shoes. "Huh?"

"You never call Jungkook by his name," Taehyung pointed out. "You only call him crowned prince."

Seokjin shrugged. "Out of respect and admiration, I guess."

"Admiration?"

Seokjin sighed and leaned against the doorway. "It's stupid, really— he's five years younger than me. Makes me feel immature for my age. Every time I've seen the prince, he just looked like he had his entire life together. I was watching the broadcast of his fifteenth birthday, and I felt like crap because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I should've had it figured out by age 20. But he just looked so— right."

Seokjin paused and tilted his head toward the hall. "But I guess nothing is really going right."

Taehyung gave a small nod and looked back at the wall. "I don't think he likes it."

"Likes what?"

Taehyung's eyes scanned the room. Bookshelf, rug, ceiling fan, desk, computer, window. "Being called by his title. I don't think he likes it."

Seokjin hummed. "You must know him well."

Taehyung looked up in surprise. "Does it seem like that? No, no— I've only known him for a few days now."

Seokjin nodded and looked back at his shoes. After a moment of silence, he said, "Hey, uh, sorry for freezing up back there. I'm not the most confident when it comes to using my powers."

Taehyung nodded. "I get it. You were afraid of what you could've done. Wanna hear a story?"

"I, uh—"

"I once threw a brick at some kid—"

"What?" Seokjin looked taken aback. "Why?"

Taehyung shrugged. "Not sure. I think he insulted me. I mean, I'm a pretty nice guy, but he was testing me."

"And what does that have to do with—"

"Let me get to the moral of the story. So, I got expelled. Had to move schools. At that time, I guess we couldn't really afford it. I was scared that I'd mess up again, so I had to learn to control my temper, for the sake of both my mother and I. Now, the moral of the story is: if you're afraid of what you can do, control it before it controls you."

"That's... actually kind of inspiring."

Taehyung smiled proudly. "It's always been my goal in life to sound like Dumbledore."

"Who?"

Taehyung feigned hurt. "You've never read Harry Potter? When this is all over, I'm lending you the series, Seokjin."

Seokjin blinked twice. "I just realized something— You know my name, but I don't know yours. And the tall one with peach hair— I don't know his name either."

"Oh," said Taehyung, "that's Kim Namjoon. I'm Kim Taehyung."

Seokjin nodded. He looked out the window and frowned. "It's evening already."