Chapter 27

Falter: start to lose strength or momentum

I did not get a single drop of sleep, not a blink of an eye. I was up all night crying until I ran out of tears and then I just sat in the dark with my legs to my chest and my arms wrapped around my cradled body. I watched by as my room slowly lit up as morning showed it's face and when it was time to get ready for school, I didn't dare look at mine. I probably looked like a zombie with bloodshot eyes and that wasn't a sight that I was prepared to see. I didn't bother taking a shower, instead, I got dressed in a pair of baggy sweats and a huge jacket and threw my hair into a messy bun, but not the cute kind, the kind that screamed 'I'm not myself, please send help.'

My head was pounding from all of the crying and lack of sleep so I decided to take some Alieve. I went to pour 2 in my hand but then 3 came out so I decided to take 4 so I tried to pour 1 more out but then 3 more came out. I shrugged and grabbed one more out of the bottle and took them all before walking out of my house when I heard Amber honking outside. Halfway through the night, I remembered that I left my backpack in Mr.Porter's car so I felt really bare just walking out with my clothes on, no phone, no backpack, no anything. 

I climbed into the passenger side of her car and buckled my seat belt. She grabbed my hand and turned to me. "You look like crap, what happened?" She just had to mention it, didn't she? I could've kept everything under control but everyone knows that once affectionate physical contact is made and that question asked, there's no holding the waterworks anymore. 

"Everything is turning to crap." I burst out in tears and she hugged me as best she could as she was buckled into her seat as well. 

"Why? What happened?" She asked me when I finally calmed down about a minute later. 

"Just drive or we'll be late. I'll tell you on the way." I said before she drove off and I told her about everything that was happening. "Okay, so you know my mom is not a mean person and she's not the type of person to get aggressive." I looked at Amber to see her nodding. "Okay well yesterday I picked Mr.Porter up from the airport and we stopped by his house so he could eat and change. While we were there she called me and started like yelling at me. I mean it wasn't necessarily yelling but it definitely wasn't her normal voice." I took in a deep breath. I didn't have to tell her that we had sex, right? "Well while we were there, he told me that he loved me," I mumbled. 

"What?" She exclaimed in shock. "Isn't that a good thing though?" 

"No, it's too soon. He's our teacher for Christ sake! How are we even supposed to make it work? This is just a dream." I vigorously shook my head. 

"You cannot tell me that you are not falling for that man! He's taking a huge risk to be with you, doesn't that say something about the kind of guy that he is?" She replied, almost sounding offended. 

"Well, yes it does but-" I started but got cut off when Amber interrupted me. 

"Then tell me there is not even a small part of you that could love him. Look me dead in the eyes and tell me." 

"I can't, you're driving. You have to keep your eyes on the road." I responded. 

"You think I care? I don't care. I'll go crazy and crash this bitch. Tell me." She looked into my eyes for enough time to scare me before I realized we were at a stop sign. There were a million cars behind us honking over and over again. 

"I-" I paused and thought it over. "No, there's no part of me that could love him." I shook my head gently and watched as Amber disappointingly sat back in her seat. 

"I know you're lying, I don't think you know that though." She flipped off the driver that was behind us and turned onto the road that led to our school. The car that was behind us pulled up into the parking area and parked right next to us as we were getting out.