Chapter 3

Picayune: Petty or worthless

The whole weekend Amber said she couldn't come over, so I slept in, stayed up late doing homework, and watched Netflix. But the weekend is over now, and Monday is here. I hate waking up early on Monday's, but here I am at six in the morning getting ready for school.

I pull on a pair of ripped blue jeans and a white shirt with black stripes. Then I put on my Adidas shoes and grab my bag before running down the stairs.

My mom is standing in the kitchen drinking a cup of coffee. I kiss her cheek and then grab a bowl so I can eat cereal. After I eat my breakfast, my mom kisses me 'bye' and I walk outside just as Amber pulls up.

"Hey, Sammy." She smiles as I open the door and get in the car.

"Hi, Ambs." I put on my seatbelt and turn up the radio.

"What's up?" She smiled and I looked at her before replying.

"What have you been doing all weekend?"

"Out with family." She quickly says, and I nod and turn to the road.

"Oh, I saw Mr.Porter at work and it was so weird," I giggle, "he asked if I made up my mind and I told him yeah, so I guess there's not really any backing down now, huh?"

"Well, I mean yeah there is. Just be a bad bitch and tell him no." We both laugh at that.

"Whatever, I could never do that." I say and she rolls her eyes in response.

"Yes, you totally could. You're a total bad bitch, bitch. You got this." She replies, earning a laugh from me.

"I don't even want to back out. You're right, it would look really good on my college applications, so I kind of have to, you know?"

She nods, "yeah, I know."

~~~

"Who can tell me what the answer is?" Ms.Tesfaye asks. James hand shoots up. James is my ex, we're still cool so we talk a lot. He's a really close friend of mine.

"84x + 9y" He smiles with pride when she nods her head. A girl from across the room giggles and I roll my eyes. She used to try to break me and James up when we dated last year, and now she flirts with him whenever I'm around to try to make me jealous.

"Why don't you just ask him out already Sarah." Amber snaps. Sarah, the girl who flirts with James, gasps.

"Excuse me?" She asks in disbelief.

"You heard me. Stop trying to make Samantha jealous because it's not working, bitch."

"Enough!" Ms.Tesfaye says before Sarah can say something else. She gives them both a cold stare before turning back to the whiteboard. The class quietly laughs, and Sarah gives me a glare. James' face is red with embarrassment and I have to hold back my laughter.

Sarah sat back in her chair and fixed her curly blonde hair before looking at the board.

The whole class, Sarah, and James stayed absolutely silent while Amber and I looked at each other and laughed everytime we remembered what happened. After the bell rang, we walked to homeroom. "Thanks a lot for that Amber." James says before branching off to go to his class.

"You're welcome." She chirps, and we both laugh.

Amber walked me to class before heading in the opposite direction of her homeroom. I stared at her confused, but I shrugged it off. She probably just had to go to the restroom.

"Hey, strawberry!" I hear Eric call out. I turn around and my hair falls down in front of my shoulder. Eric plays soccer on the A-team and everyone thinks he likes me. But he's too good for me, so why would he like me?

"Why do you even call me that?" I laugh.

"Because you're sweet like one." He smiles.

"There's a lot of sweet things in this world, and trust me, I'm not one." I wink at him, and he laughs.

"Come sit with us." He motions me over to the group of sport guys. I walk over and one of the guys pulls me into his lap. I shriek and laugh.

"Leave her alone, Alejandro." I hear Eric say, clearly annoyed. He let's me go and I sit next to him on an empty chair.

For the next 25 minutes we talked about football. Mostly how I didn't understand it and them explaining the rules.

"Okay, but what's the point? I mean all you're doing is throwing and catching a ball." I roll my eyes and Alejandro scoffs.

"You are hopeless, Samantha. Just plain hopeless." He shakes his head causing me and the other boys to laugh.

"Well for that, I am very sorry. Please do accept my apology." I do a small curtsy and then the bell rings, so I pick up my bag and walk away. I walk to my next class alone and sit down in my seat.

I don't know why I'm so annoyed right now, but I just shrug it off. None of my friends are in this class, so it's always boring. I pull out my phone and scroll through Instagram before I hear my name. I look up to see Sarah and her posse. I roll my eyes at her.

"Not so tough without your little girlfriend, huh?" She raises her eyebrows and tries to intimidate me. I laugh.

"Sweetie, I don't need her to be tough. But to me, it looks like you need yours." I gesture to the tall girl with dark brown hair and the slightly shorter girl with blond hair. She scoffs, and I blow a kiss her way.

"Bye hun." She turns around, and the other girls whip their hair and turn around to take their seats. Those girls are so annoying and I don't understand why Sarah can't just move past me. Up until 7th grade we were best friends; we lived around the block from each other since we were four. But then in the middle of 8th grade I met Amber, and we grew close as Sarah grew jealous. One day, both Sarah and Amber asked me to go over for a sleepover. I said yes to Amber and now Sarah is after me.

My memory lane moment is interrupted when the teacher, Mr. Shepard, clears his throat, "Good morning, class." There are a few mumbled 'good mornings' in response before the room falls silent.

"Today we have the quiz, so I hope you all studied. It's 30 questions and it should take you about 45 minutes. After that, the class is yours. Good luck." He passes out our physics tests and we begin.

~~~

After all of my classes, lunch, and cheer practice, my mom picks me up from school. "Hey, sweetie," she smiles at me and turns down the radio, "how was your day?" She pulls out of the bus circle and starts driving home.

"Pretty good, I'm super tired though. And we took a test in physics; I don't know if I passed," I sigh.

"Did you study for it?"

"Mhm." I hum in response.

"Then I'm sure you passed it." She reassures me. I look out the window and watch the buildings blur together. I yawn and rest my head against the window, feeling every vibration and bump in my skull.

My phone vibrates and I pull it out from my bag. It's a reminder about the playdate. "Crap! Mom, the playdate is today." I look at her and she chuckles.

"I know sweetie. He's at their house." I sigh in relief and rest my head again.

I am shaken awake by my mom. I look up and we're at home, I get out of the car and head inside.

"Are you hungry?" She asks me and I shake my head and go upstairs to my room. I lay down on my bed and check my notifications; 7 new likes on my instagram picture, 2 comments, and 3 retweets. I unlock my phone to check the comments on instagram. They are both about how pretty I am. I quickly reply with a 'thank you' and smile.

I lock my phone and plug it into the wall to charge, and I get undressed and then crawl under my covers and go to sleep.