Chapter 10

I went to work on Saturday and Sunday, despite the ache that took over my whole body. I looked like a mess, my hair was in a messy bun that got loser as the day progressed and I was in some leggings and a t'shirt that was too long to wear anywhere outside of the house. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I took it out. 

Hey, I totally forgot your homework, didn't I? 

Yep, but it's all good. Now I have an excuse to not have done it. I replied. 

Yeah, you right. 

I leave him on read and walk up to a customer looking around. "Hi, how are you today? Is there anything I can help you with?" I asked the lady. 

"No, thank you though." I nod my head and walk away. She was so pretty, I'm embarrassed she saw me like this. Her eyelashes were long and curved, her black hair fell to her shoulders and it was curly. The only thing that didn't match her fair, clear skin was her eyes. They were dark and she had huge eye bags. 

I went into the restroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I felt the sudden urge to throw up and ran into a stall and doubled over the toilet. The contents that were previously in my stomach were now in the toilet and burned my throat. Tears swelled up in my eyes and I closed the stall door behind me. I kept throwing up and then the door opened. I held all of the throw up in my mouth and stilled. This was so embarrassing. I gagged and convulsed, spitting out more vomit. 

"Are you okay?" I heard a woman's voice call out to me. I hummed a "mhm" in response. The door opened and closed again and then a minute later someone else walked in. 

"Hello?" That was Caitlyn, my coworker. I wiped my mouth with toilet paper and then flushed it all down. I stood up and walked out, feeling so weak that I stumbled and had to hold on to railing inside the stall. I walked past her and went to the sink to rinse out my mouth. "Samantha, you should go home, you're so sick." 

I looked up at her through the mirror. "Is it that obvious?" I asked sarcastically. She gave a small smile and I continued to rinse out my mouth. She stood there watching me and when I finally turned the water off, she handed me a paper towel. I thanked her and dried off my mouth, the taste that flooded over my taste buds was terrible. 

"Come on." She walked me out of the restroom and to our boss. "She's sick and needs to go home." 

"Is this true?" He asked me and I nodded. "Okay, clock out and I hope you feel better. Text me when you're feeling better so I can put you back in the schedule." I nodded again and walked out of his office. 

I pulled out my phone and called my mom. 

"Hey sweetie!" She exclaimed and I could almost hear her smile through the phone. 

"Hey mom, can you pick me up from work? I threw up and my boss is giving me the day off." I reply. 

"I'm at work right now, can you ask Amber? If she can't, text me and I'll see if I can take a break and come get you." She replied.

"Okay, thanks mom. Bye I love you." I answered her and she said I love you too before hanging up. 

I called Amber and asked if she could pick me up and she said yes, she'll be here in 15. I walked around the store and waited for Amber to show up. My phone dinged a while later. 

I'm here. Come on. 

I walked out the store and to her car that was waiting in front of the door. "Hey, thanks for picking me up." 

"Of course, do you want to go home, or do you want something to eat?" She asked me.

"I just want to go home." She nodded and I leaned my head against the window of the passenger side. The vibrations of the car made me even worse and I really wanted to get out of the car. What in the world is wrong? I never get this sick. 

I started to cry and Amber heard me sniffle. "Oh no babes! Don't cry." 

"I feel so terrible!" I wiped at my tears and she frowned. 

"I know you do. Let's go get some ice cream and hot chips and chocolate." I really didn't want to, but it always worked to make me feel better for some unknown reason. It shouldn't make me feel better because it's all bad for you but it never failed me. 

We pulled into a gas station and Amber told me to stay in the car and she got out. Five minutes later she came out with 3 plastic bags and smile on her face. I smiled back at her. I freaking loved this girl. She sat down in the drivers seat and handed me the bags, which I placed on my laps. 

"Amber." I called out to her. 

"Yeah babes?" She asks. 

"I like spending time with d-" I stopped myself, "Mr.Porter. But I feel bad because of Eric and I don't know what to do." I sigh. 

"Well, don't worry about that. Today let's worry about getting you to feel better, we'll talk about it tomorrow. Okay?" She suggested with a smile. I nodded my head to agree with her. 

***

The rest of the day, Amber and I stayed in my room and ate all of the junk food that she bought. We watched our favorite movie Cast Away and we also played card games and looked at really funny memes. I always loved hanging out with her, she always made me feel better. She never failed at that. 

Amber yawned and I looked at her. "Do you wanna stay the night here?" I asked her, hoping she would say yes. I didn't want to be alone today, not just because I felt like complete shit, but because Amber might leave me to live with her Dad when her parents get divorced. What was I ever going to do without her?

"Yeah, let me just ask my mom." Amber sat up in bed and called her mom. "Hey mom. Can I stay the night at Samantha's house?" She sat in silence for a few seconds before speaking up again. "Okay, thank you. I will." 

"What'd she say?" I asked her. 

"She said yeah but to make sure I come home in the morning to take Jeremy to school because she has to go to court early tomorrow." She frowned.

"Come here babes." I pulled her to me and hugged her. "I love you." She said I love you too and then I left to take a shower. 

The door to the restroom opened a few minutes after I got in the shower. "I need to pee." Amber said. "How are you and Mr.Porter." I poked my head out of the shower curtain. 

"I don't know. Good I think. I like being around him, he's sweet. But he's also 24 and I'm only 17. That's not really okay. I think that after this one week is up, I'm going to end things." She rolls her eyes at me and sticks her hand out to me. She pushes my head back into the shower and I laugh. 

"How are you and Kyle doing?" I ask as I begin to wash my hair. 

"Oh, we're doing great! I haven't told him about my parents yet. But I don't think I should. I think I'm gonna stay with mom. Jeremy is staying and I don't want to leave him. He's gonna need some stability in his life. And dad is going to move to Salem or Eugene so he's not going to get it there." She explains and I can hear that her voice is going to break so I change the subject. 

"What should I do about Eric?" I ask, rinsing out my hair and lathering it in conditioner. 

"Well it's not technically cheating, right?" 

"I don't know. I had a dream that Eric found out about me and him and he was so pissed. He stabbed Mr.Porter and shit just got really crazy really fast. He was really hurt and disgusted." 

"Well maybe just talk about it with Mr.Porter then. I'm sure he'd know." 

"Why do you say that?" I ask confused. 

"Well, what if you're not, you know, the first student he's gotten involved?" I didn't reply but I started to think about it. What if I wasn't. I know he rejected Claire but does that mean that I was the only one? I couldn't be the first one. I wanted to be though. A tear fell down my cheek and I disguised it among the water droplets by sticking my face under the shower head. 

***

After the two of us showered we braided each others hair and then went downstairs to go eat some cereal. We both ate like three bowls of Cookie Crisp and then went upstairs to go to sleep.