Chapter 20

The entire day at school I wanted to just be with Mr.Porter. After our encounter with his ex, Jennifer, I had been a bit anxious. She had kissed him and God now she remembers how amazing his lips feel, how sweet he tastes, how good his mouth can make you feel. It made me sick to my stomach. I wanted to kiss him so bad but not after her mouth had made contact with his.

Over some unnoticed coffee, she had shared information with Mr.Porter that was already changing and shaping his life all over again. He had a 4 year old daughter with stage 3 Wilms Tumor. After uprooting his life because he thought his child was aborted, he was ready to finally see her.

I was extremely and unbelievably happy for him. I wanted him to meet her more than anything and I wanted her to be healthy and cured of cancer. After Jennifer had left, Mr.Porter and I had ordered breakfast and he texted the number she gave him. We held hands, his grip tighter than mine, as he nervously waited for a text back.

He had asked me what I thought she would be like. That was an easy enough answer, "if she's anything like you, she'll be beautiful and kind and a blessing." He smiled after that and I could tell his head was spiraling with thoughts.

About halfway through eating his phone dinged with a text and he checked it. 'I'm glad you want to meet her. Just let us know when you'll come down. This is our address.' The address showed a home in Austin Texas and I saw him frown.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"I was so close to her, so close, and I left." He replied and the sound of his voice made my heart hurt for him. He told me his plan. He'd get a substitute tomorrow, pack enough for a week in Texas, stay with his parents and visit her the day he got down there.

He wasn't sure if he was gonna drive or buy a plane ticket yet but he would figure that out later today. They would both be expensive, gas and the ticket. My day inched by slower than any of the other days. It was a B-day and I already dreaded those but now so much had happened today and I just wanted to hug daddy and see him off before he left for a week.

After humanities ended and school was finally dismissed I practically ran to his classroom. I threw the door open and rushed in. "Hey." I wrapped my arms around him. He sighed and hugged me back. "Have you decided if you're driving or flying?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm gonna fly and I'm giving you the keys to my car." He smiled down at me. My mouth dropped open as I registered his words. No way was he letting me drive his Corvette for a whole week. "Close that pretty little mouth. I have to buy a ticket and then I'm gonna take you to my house so I can pack and you can drive me to airport and then you can take her home." He said as he walked towards the door. "You ready?" I nodded. I texted Amber not to wait up because I got a ride home. I would tell her everything later but right now I wanted to focus on Mr.Porter.

We walked out to his car and nobody was paying attention so I hurriedly got in. We never left school early together. Today was the first time. I wasn't necessarily nervous but if someone did see us things would be going sideways so fast!

My heart was pounding as we were driving to his house. Like sure, I knew we were going for him to pack, but we never mean for things to escalate but sometimes they just do. I wasn't ready for sex and I was really hoping everything would go exactly as planned. We held hands as he drove and I loved it. It was living a real life with him. Just being able to drive around whenever we wanted and not being afraid of getting caught showing each other affection.

Sometimes I imagined I was in a world where having emotions for other people wasn't right or allowed and if they found out they'd kill you and that made being with Mr.Porter a lot easier. I closed my eyes as he drove and just focused on the warmth of his hand in mine. I loved it.