Chapter Forty-Eight.

Začať od začiatku

I couldn’t help but laugh at that as he smiled down at me, the seriousness in his eyes telling me that every word he’d spoken was true. He laughed again and kissed my head, then pulling away and staring down at me.

“What about you?” He asked. “When did you first realise?”

“When I first met you.” I immediately told him. “When you saved me from the guys. I was like...in awe of you.”

A grin spread on his face and he reached out to stroke my waist, his fingers tickling against my skin. Immediately, I squirmed and let out a loud laugh, and he ticked me harder.

Stop!” I giggled hysterically, squirming in his arms, “Please stop!”

“Hmm...” He tilted his head playfully. “Nah.”

I was sent into another fit of hysterical laughs as he tickled me even harder, and his grin widened as he watched me. I managed to compose myself ever so slightly and reached forward to playfully punch his arm, at which he laughed.

“Oh, you’ve asked for it now!” He chuckled, standing up and throwing me over his shoulder.

I could only laugh harder as I pounded my fists against his back, screaming at him to put me down. Of course, he refused and proceeded to spin me around, eventually stumbling back as he became dizzy. Soon enough, he fell back onto the ground, causing me to land on top of him, and he laughed as he fell back, placing his hands on my waist.

Still laughing quietly, I cuddled into his chest, stroking his arm gently. His fingers brushed my waist gently and he suddenly sat up, a more serious expression taking over his face.

“Can I ask you a personal question?” He quietly said, still stroking my waist, “I mean, I’ll totally understand if you don’t wanna answer...”

Gulping a little nervously, I nodded. I was intrigued as to what he was going to ask me, but also worried about what it might be. I was pretty sure he knew most things about me. What personal questions were there to ask?

He titled his head thoughtfully, studying my face. “Are you a virgin?”

Immediately, I hesitated. It wasn’t that I had a problem telling him the truth, I was just worried he’d see me differently if I did. The story behind it wasn’t something I’d ever told anyone before. Telling Zacky probably could be a good start.

“No.” I shook my head a little cautiously. “I’m not.”

“Just wondered.” He smiled, nodding. “When did you...you know...”

Sucking in a deep breath, I closed my eyes. “Well, technically...I lost it when I was fourteen...”

Then came the pause I’d been waiting for. It was a silence so full of suspense that even with my eyes closed, I could feel Zacky judging me. I immediately regretted saying anything as I opened my eyes to see him staring at me in shock.

“You lost your virginity at fourteen?” He asked me incredulously, blinking. “Fourteen? I...what?”

“It’s not what it seems.” I sighed, shifting away from him a little. “It was...against my will.”

This time, a different kind of pause came. Instead of looking at me, he stared forward, avoiding my gaze.

Go on...” He quietly said, clenching his jaw.

“I...” My voice cracked as I began to speak, “I was...raped...when I was fourteen.”

He immediately clenched his jaw even more, balling his fists. I watched him stare forward, studying his expression that had completely darkened from the happy one he wore only minutes before.

“How old?” He questioned in a deep voice, practically speaking through his teeth.

“He was in his mid-twenties at least.” I sighed.

Finally, he looked at me, blinking. “What the fuck were you doing hanging around with a guy in his mid fucking twenties when you were fourteen?”

“I wasn’t!” I immediately defended myself, edging away even more. “He was my mum’s friend...a total creep. He came over to our house one night to see her but she’d gone out and that’s when he did it.”

He sighed and buried his head in his hands, his anger easing off a little. I could tell he wasn’t angry at me, but it was still difficult to see him this distressed.

“Didn’t you tell anyone?” He blinked again. “Your mom? Stepdad?”

I scoffed. “They wouldn’t have cared. My mum was always too drunk and my stepdad was barely ever home! You’re the first person I’ve ever told.”

A frown fell onto his face as he stared down. I could see him thinking it over in his head—frustrating himself with the thought of it. His expression changed numerous times, from frustrated, to angry, and eventually to sad.

Hey.” I quickly reached out, stroking his hand. “It’s okay. I’m okay.”

“No it’s not!” He ripped his hand away, standing up. “Midge, it’s not okay at all! You shouldn’t have had to deal with that. It’s not fair.”

I sighed, tipping my head back. “Zacky, there’s nothing I can do about it. It was four years ago—it’s done, it’s over with...I really just want to let it go.”

“It’s not fair, baby.” He whispered, sitting back down and staring at me. It almost looked like he had tears in his eyes. “It’s sick and it’s wrong and...”

He couldn’t finish the sentence as he shook his head, exhaling deeply. I could see where his frustration was coming from, but I still wanted to relieve him of it.

“And it’s gone.” I stroked his arm reassuringly. “As far as I’m concerned, that bad memory was left back in England when I came here. And I have a great life here. A great family...a great boyfriend. It’s not going to bother me anymore.”

Another sigh escaped his lips and he studied my face, his sad expression still on show. I could tell he didn’t want to let it go that easily. Part of him wanted to demand to know who the guy was so he could hunt him down.

“Let’s just focus on us.” I managed a small smile, still stroking his arm. “That’s what matters now.”

He could do nothing but nod as he tipped his head back, closing his eyes as he calmed himself down. I watched him, leaving him to compose himself in peace, and he eventually looked back at me, pulling me closer and cupping my face in his hands.

“Look at me...” He whispered, pecking my lips gently, “I promise you I will never let anything like that happen to you again, okay? Never. I’ll take care of you always.”

As I nodded, a smile pulled at his lips, and he pulled me even closer, resting his head against mine and staring into my eyes.

“It’s you and me now, Midge.” He murmured quietly, “You and me.”