seventeen

[Darling darling, doesn’t have a problem. Lying to herself, ‘cause her liquor’s top shelf]

~**~

The black color taking over Harry’s eye drew Louis’ attention immediately. The whole fight between Liam and Harry didn’t end so pretty, as Harry was a lot more slender and Liam was muscular; Harry didn’t stand a chance. After giving Harry a swollen eye, Liam dropped it at that and warned Harry to stay away from Zayn, but Harry was never one to throw in the towel and knew he could still manipulate the whole situation into his favor.

Louis runs up to Harry who’s standing in the corner of the hallway. “Oh my god! Harry, what happened to you?!” The way he looked at Harry – he knew Louis was going to force an answer out of him.

“Liam Payne, that’s what happened,” he spewed bitterly.

Louis’ eyes widen in disbelief; he couldn’t believe it. Liam was too kind to do something this terrible to one of the people Louis cared most about. “There’s just no way… Are you- are you sure?” He was hoping this was all just a prank and that Ashton Kutcher was going to pop out any second shouting, “You’ve been punk’d!”

Harry flails his arms in annoyance. “Would I be joking about something like this?” he asks with his finger pointed to his black eye.

Louis sighs. “Well- you should get some ice for it. Let’s go to the nurse, yeah?”

Harry declines. “No.” He shakes his head, the curls on top of his head twirling with his movements as he continues, “I’m fine.”

Louis cups his cheek to get a closer look and observes the bruised skin, Harry wincing at the contact. “Then tell me what happened. You obviously pissed Liam off if he struck you like this.”

“Fine. So after Niall’s football game, Liam strolled by my house and threw me onto my own front yard before I could even get a word in. The dude’s gone mad,” explained Harry.

Louis pushed for a better explanation as he wasn’t thoroughly convinced yet. “Did he tell you why he was so pissed?”

This was where Harry had to turn the tables and make Liam seem like the villain. “I told Zayn the truth about Liam because I felt he had a right to know, but Liam totally blew it out of proportion! Next thing I know, he’s socking me in the face and giving my ribs a good kick or two!”

Louis furrowed his eyebrows. “Jesus Christ, are sure he didn’t break anything?” asks Louis worriedly while rubbing his palm against Harry’s stomach.

“No, just a few bruises.”

Louis crosses his arms; he still had unanswered questions. “What do you mean you told Zayn the truth about Liam?”

Harry pushes his hair back and continues his bluff. “Liam was obviously leading him on. He only invited Zayn to Josh’s party that night to use him as a ‘distraction’, and we all know that. Not to mention he called off their date because he was grounded, yet he still had the decency to hang out with you.”

“Okay, maybe that wasn’t the nicest thing for Liam to do, but I know he loves Zayn. The way he looks at him with adoration like he’s the only thing that matters… You can just tell, trust me.”

“Well he would have put in more effort if he cared that much,” scoffed Harry who had enough of Louis’ sob story about Liam’s love for Zayn. “Well, if you’re just gonna rant on about this then I’m going to class.” Harry adjusts his backpack around his shoulder and heads to his first class.

“But classes don’t start for ten more minutes?” objected Louis.

“Better to be early than late,” replied Harry, his head not turning back to face Louis as he continued his way to class.