twenty-seven

[Icy Cola Coca, Sprite I love the mosta'. I ride rollercoasters. I try all the cultures.]

Just when Liam thought things were taking a turn for the better, life had to prove him wrong. Being the protective boyfriend that he was, Liam noticed Zayn was taking a lot longer than usual in the shower. He climbed out of his bed and walked down the hall, coming to a halt when he reached the bathroom door.

He knocked assertively on the wooden door and waited for a response that he never got. "Zayn?" He asked for the boy's name repeatedly, his worriment more evident each time.

What was once asks turned into pleas as Liam banged against the door, shouting Zayn's name. Patience running thin, Liam turned the knob (he was surprised yet relieved that it was unlocked) and found Zayn collapsed on the cold floor.

"Zayn!" Liam was panicking like a maniac at the sight. He kneeled down by his boyfriend and cried out his name while attempting to shake him awake. It was no use – Zayn was out cold.

Liam pressed his ear against Zayn's chest to check if he had a pulse. His heartbeat was weak and dim, which caused Liam to go into frenzy. "No! Zayn, babe! Wake up!"

After a few more useless shakes, Liam shrilled at the top of his lungs for his mother. Karen rushed into the bathroom, and her motherly instincts immediately kicked in. "Liam, what happened?!" she demanded in an authoritative yet calm manner.

"I-I don't know! I found h-him like this!" he choked out while trying to explain the sudden incident.

"Pick him up while I call an ambulance," she said soothingly. Before running out of the bathroom, she paused and told Liam reassuringly, "Liam, he'll be fine – I promise."

With bloodshot eyes and a quivering lip, Liam looked at her and nodded before she fled the room. Liam placed Zayn's right arm over his shoulders, grabbed Zayn's slime frame by his back and under his legs, and lifted him off the floor quickly, Zayn's body shooting up into the air like mercury in a thermometer. The smaller boy was terrifyingly light and too easy for Liam to lift.

Liam could feel Zayn's boney body protruding and jabbing at Liam's own chest as he carried him. It felt as if Liam were pressing the leftover carcass of a Thanksgiving turkey against his gut with every step he took. Zayn was too thin. Although this wasn't an epiphany, Liam sure as hell wasn't going to pull any punches after this. He had to do something about Zayn's eating disorder if no one else was going to.

Reaching the living room, Karen told Liam to lay Zayn on the couch as they waited for an ambulance to arrive. Liam paced back-and-forth in the center of the living room with seconds feeling like minutes. He tuned out Karen's words as she tried to calm him down, but how could he be calm? For all he knew, Zayn could be dying!

Right when Liam could hear the sound of sirens and see flashing lights leaking through the living room window, he swooped Zayn up in his arms and run out to find the paramedics and hand him over.

Paranoia set in right away as Liam began asking the paramedics question-after-question on whether Zayn would be okay, why he was out cold, if they had dealt with a situation similar to this, etcetera. Having strapped Zayn into a stretcher, the two paramedics slide Zayn into the back of the ambulance with Liam jumping into the back as well without even asking for permission.

A paramedic looked at Liam with quirked eyebrows and began to ask, "What are you do--"

"I'm not leaving his side! No questions asked!" The vein in Liam's neck was popping out as yelled at the lady. "Now do your job and take us to the bloody hospital!" he demanded, his flexed biceps, flushed face, and balled fists intimidating her.