#22. New Years » Steve

"Come on, it won't be that bad," Ronica said as she applied the finishing touches to her makeup.

"It's a Tony Stark party. I'm pretty sure we can assume it'll be bad," Steve replied as he fixed his tie.

Steve and Ronica Rogers, happily married couple for a little over a year now, were getting ready to go to one of Tony Stark's famous parties. This party was for New Years. The rest of the Avengers along with their significant others were invited as well as anyone else who wanted to go.

Steve was never a fan of Tony's parties. So many people got drunk and acted differently. He remembered the days he could get drunk, but the Super Soldier Serum made it nearly impossible now. Not to mention the fact that he'd have girls hitting on him left and right, despite having Ronica right next to him.

"You gotta get used to these parties one day," Ronica pointed out. "Tony will be throwing big parties like this till the day he dies and no one would go to his parties if the Avengers weren't there."

"It's a Tony Stark party. I'm sure lots of people would go," Steve said.

"Tony alone is not as popular as the Avengers together. People like seeing that you guys are just normal people and getting to take a selfie to prove they actually met you."

"Oh, not the selfies," Steve groaned and rolled his eyes. Ronica giggled and pecked her husband on the cheek.

"Now, let's go or else we'll be late."

"I'd be okay with that," Steve mumbled.

"I wouldn't be. Come on!"

The party was in full swing when the two arrived. They were greeted by Pepper, as usual, before being pulled apart by the crowd. Ronica decided to make her way towards the bar and have a quick drink. There, she met Natasha, one of her closest friends besides Pepper.

While the two girls talked about how Clint had recently proposed, Steve had found Bruce and Thor standing together, already drinking. Tony, clearly drunk out of his mind, was in the middle of the dance floor dancing like a fool.

"Look at him," Steve commented. "I'm surprised he doesn't have liver problems."

"Among his other problems?" teased Bruce. The three chuckled as Bruce and Thor took a drink. Much like Steve, Thor couldn't get drunk on beer alone. At least, not Midgardian beer.

"So, where's Ronica?" asked Bruce. Steve pointed towards the crowd of people, unsure himself of where his wife was. "Ah. Pulled away, huh?"

"That's nothing new," Steve replied. "It's hard to stay together at these kinds of parties. It's almost as if half of New York is here."

"That's a fair guess," Bruce agreed.

"Why don't you go find Lady Ronica?" Thor asked. "Many couples seem to be dancing."

Steve shook his head and took a sip of the beer Bruce had given him. "No, I don't dance. Actually, I can't dance."

"That is not what I remember," Thor said.

"Yeah, me either," Bruce said. "Didn't you once say that you don't dance because you haven't found the right partner? Yeah, I think that's what it was. Well, it seems to me you've found the right partner now. Don't you agree, Thor?" Thor nodded. Steve rolled his eyes.

"Fine. I'll go find Ronica and make a fool of myself in front of her and everyone else here."

"First off, she's already married to you so making a fool of yourself won't be that bad. Second, I think Tony has beat you to that second part."

Steve chuckled again as he watched Tony's horrible drunk dancing. He decided to take his friends' advice and go dance with Ronica.

Meanwhile, Ronica was still sitting with Natasha.

"So, you're married. Tell me, what's married life like?" Natasha asked. Ronica smiled in a way Natasha had seen many times since Ronica and Steve had gotten together.

"It's everything I could ever wish for," mused Ronica. "Trust me. If you really love Clint, you'll have nothing to worried about."

Natasha smiled and sipped her beer while Ronica sipped her wine. Suddenly, the music changed to something slower. Ronica smiled as she recognized the song. Wanted by Hunter Hayes, her and Steve's first dance song. And, as if on cue, Steve made his way through the crowd towards the two girls.

"Ladies," he said. "Natasha, I hope you don't mind if I steal my wife away for a dance."

Natasha waved her hand, spotting Clint in the crowd and making her way towards him. Steve extended his hand to Ronica, who gladly accepted and allowed Steve to lead her onto the dance floor. Many of the guests had left the floor due to the slow song and lack of person to dance with. To Ronica, it felt like it was just her and Steve.

"You know I'd fall apart without you. I don't know how you do what you do. Cause everything that don't make sense about me, makes sense when I'm with you."

Steve touched his forehead against Ronica's, looking into her eyes as the two danced.

"I thought you couldn't dance and our wedding was a 'one in a lifetime experience'," Ronica pointed out, dropping her voice to mimic Steve's. Steve chuckled.

"Well, let's just say the guys can be persuasive. And it was a good way of getting Tony off the dance floor. He looked like he was having a stroke."

Ronica laughed and rested her head on Steve's chest.

"Like everything that's green, girl, I need you. But it's more than 1 and 1 makes 2. Put aside the math and the logic of it. You gotta know you're wanted too."

Ronica and Steve swayed back and forth on the dance floor, memories from their wedding flooding both of their minds. The way they both felt on top of the world as they swayed together for the first time as husband and wife, all eyes on them as they danced.

More people got the courage to join them on the dance floor. Clint and Natasha were dancing not too far from them. Thor and Jane were together. Even Pepper had managed to drag a drunken Tony to the floor to dance. But no matter how many people danced around then, Ronica and Steve were still the only ones there, dancing close to the music.

The song was coming to an end when it abruptly stopped and the DJ announced, "One minute to midnight!"

Everyone scrambled to the windows to watch the fireworks Tony had set up. Everyone except Ronica and Steve, who were still tangled in each other on the dance floor.

"10!" the DJ started. "9! 8!"

"7!" the others joined in. "6! 5! 4! 3! 2!"

"1," Steve whispered before leaning down to kiss Ronica. As soon as their lips met, the room with filled with colors from the fireworks outside as the guests all cheered, "HAPPY NEW YEAR."

Ronica pulled away first. She looked up at Steve and said, "Happy New Year Mr. Rogers."

Steve smiled and replied, "Happy New Years Mrs. Rogers."