#67. The Magician » Steve (part 1)

I sat at a table in a diner. The staff was eying me nervously as I tapped my fingers on the table, watching the door and waiting for the person I was meeting.

See, everyone knew who I was. I didn't exactly keep it a secret. I was the anti-hero of New York; I saved people when I felt like it, and I tended to take from the assholes who had too much and gave to the innocent who had nothing. Like a modern day Robin Hood, except with magic powers. And I mean actual magic powers, my power is magic.

Finally, the familiar tall, dark figure of Nick Fury entered the diner. He looked at the staff, that were still nervously watching me. They noticed him and quickly went on about their day. He turned to me and came to sit down across from me.

I smirked. "I didn't think you'd show."

"We set a meeting, I intended to stick to it," he said. "I'm assuming you know why I'm here."

"You probably want me to join your little secret club, right? The Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Divion; or S.H.I.E.L.D for short."

Fury's stare was hard. I had heard of people who had run ins with him before. They described him as intimidating. Little did he know, people also described me as intimidating. I wasn't afraid of him with his trench coat and his silly eye patch.

"Let's keep this short and sweet," I said, leaning forward. "I don't want to join. Nice to meet you."

I started to stand, but Fury took something from his jacket and threw it on the table. It was a file. I slowly lowered myself back into the seat, my interest peaked. I watched Fury as I opened the file and looked down at it. The picture staring back at me was none other than Captain America himself.

It wasn't anything I hadn't read before. Steven Rogers, scrawny Brooklyn boy, given a serum to make him a "Super Soldier", he became Captain America, the world's first superhero. He died saving New York and his body was never recovered.

"You called a meeting with me to tell me about a dead hero?" I asked, raising my eyebrow.

"I called a meeting to see if we could help him live a longer life," Fury explained. "We both know your powers; they don't call you The Magician for nothing. And one of these powers, reports say, is time traveling."

He's not wrong. I can time travel. With a snap of my fingers, I can go back in time, hang out there for a few years, then end up back in the same moment I left with only seconds having passed. It was actually one of the few powers I had that I didn't abused, because of the whole "if you change the past you can drastically alter the future" thing. And even if I loved being mischievous with my powers, I'd rather not go back in time to change a bad date and suddenly Canada is a part of the United States or some other stupid shit.

I closed the file and shoved it back towards Fury. "Why do you want that? He'd be dead by now anyways, it's not like he'd be any help to you or anything."

"Believe it or not, Riana, not everyone has to have an ulterior motive for one's own good." I almost flinched when he said my name. No one knew my name, at least not the public. Just people close to me. I guess S.H.I.E.L.D knew everything. "We just want him to live. To get out of that plane crash and to continue to have a good life."

I looked down at the file again. A picture of post-serum Steve in his "performance" Captain America outfit was stuck out, looking at me, almost looking as he was also waiting for my answer.

I'm not a bad person. I like being cocky, I like being an anti-hero, but I'm not heartless. Steve Rogers was only a year older than me when he died. He still had so much life left to live. He could've married Peggy Carter and had kids, and just genuinely been happy.

He deserved that kind of life. He really did.

Finally, I sighed and looked back at Fury. "I'll do it."

"Really?" He almost looked surprised that I actually greed.

I rolled my eyes. "Why is that such a surprise? They don't consider me a modern day Robin Hood for nothing. I have a heart under this sarcastic exterior."

"You could have fooled me." Okay, I have to admit, that was funny. I couldn't help but chuckle a little. "So, when do you think you'll be able to go through with this plan? We were hoping as soon as possible."

"How about right now?"

I snapped my fingers and suddenly, I was sitting in a 1940s bar.

A brief introduction to this series! I hope you guys enjoy it! Dedicated to Riana_Jannat23 !