The Last Stand of Captain Cardboard

"What?"

"I mean you've been living with her, has she shown any interest in any other guy?"

Guy?

"Well actually, I just recently moved out. So we don't really spend that much time together."

Okay that sorta sounded like a lie. Not that I mind lying to soldier boy here. I'm still mad at him for the torturing me thing.

"Oh well, but you still go slaying with her right? Buffy talks a lot when she patrols. Has she mentioned any new guys in her life?"

"There's no new guy."

"But she said..."

"TRUST ME Riley, there is no guy."

I hold back the urge to break out laughing.

"Well you know her really well, I mean, you're both slayers right?"

"Uh yeah I guess."

"She obviously cares a lot about you. I mean, she freaked out when she found out what I wanted to..."

He stops in mid sentence and I look at him. He's looking at the floor and all of the sudden it's like something dawns on him. He looks up at me slowly.

He knows.

"It's you, isn't it?"

He definitely knows. I'm not sure if I should admit it to him or not.

"It's you she's in love with, isn't it?"

He gets up close.

"Is she in love with you?"

He looks back at me with this look of painful desperation. He grabs me and shakes me a bit.

"Is she?"

Okay this is getting a little too violent for me not to fight back.

I push him away.

"So what if she is? What does it matter? It's like you said, she broke up with you."

I shove him away again.

"What does it matter how she feels about anyone?"

"Are you... are you in love with her too?"

I step back a bit, a little shocked at the question.

Am I in love with her? Am I in love with Buffy? I know I care about her. I know I care about her more than I've ever cared about anyone, but love? I don't even know what the word means. I don't even know how it's supposed to feel. He's looking at me, I don't like it.

"Hey, my life is none of your god damn business. Why don't you just butt out Captain Cardboard?"

"You are, aren't you?"

"Shut the hell up."

"I should go, I-I-I have to go."

"Yeah, I'm thinking that's a good idea."

He moves past me and out the door.

Good riddance you stupid moron. She could never love anyone like you.

I move over toward the bed.

Now all I gotta do is wait for her to come home and then the fun can begin.

After a second I hear something going on outside.

Probably just Riley hating himself.

"What the hell do you want?"