Final Goodbyes

Newt and Tina spent the next few days going through everything in the house, packing it safely away in boxes which Newt labeled and organized because Tina couldn't be bothered to do it. He stacked them all in an empty enclosure in his case so that they could be transported easily. 

Tina had managed not to start crying while going through most of the things in the living room but eventually she knew she couldn't avoid the one thing she wanted to avoid: going through Queenie's things.

"In a way, it would be easier if she had died," Tina had commented as she carefully, packed Queenie's clothes. "Then, at least, she would just be gone and I'd know there was no hope. And she'd still be a good person. But since she followed Grindelwald--"

She hadn't been able to finish the thought but Newt had understood what she meant. He knew how badly losing her sister was affecting her, and how badly being in their apartment was too. 

Every night they had been there, Newt had been woken up by Tina's muffled cries. Every night, he had climbed out of bed and crossed the room to where Tina lay, still asleep. He had knelt by the bed, or sat on the edge, taking her hand in his and alternated between gently rubbing her back and stroking her hair. He would stay there until she had calmed down and her tears had slowed. Then he would slowly make his way back to Queenie's bed, where he was sleeping, and go back to sleep. The next morning, Tina would wake up with no memory of Newt comforting her, or of the dream itself. Until the seventh night.

That night, Tina hadn't calmed down. She was gripping Newt's hand tightly, sobbing in her sleep. He hadn't wanted to wake her up but nothing he did could make her stop crying. Eventually, he gave in and carefully climbed onto the narrow bed, slipping under the covers. Tina had immediately pulled him closer, unconsciously burying her face in his chest. He had held her close and eventually her tears had slowed. He had decided to wait a few minutes before returning to his own bed but he had fallen asleep a few moments later.

That morning, Tina woke up to find herself staring at the fabric of Newt's pajama shirt. She gasped, pulling back suddenly, waking him up. He blinked at her sleepily then realized she was actually here.

"Tina!" He began trying to climb out of the bed. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have-- I--"

Tina moved to press a kiss to his lips, effectively silencing his embarrassed rambling. She felt him relax in her arms.

"Newt, I don't mind," she assured him. "I was just startled, that's all. I didn't expect to find you here." She paused, frowning slightly. "What are you doing here?"

Newt blushed slightly. "Uh-- you were having a nightmare and, um, my usual ways of getting you to calm down weren't working so I thought that if I would be able to hold you, you'd quiet down. It worked and I meant to leave but I -- I fell asleep."

"What do you mean your usual ways?" Tina asked. "Have I had nightmares before?"

"You've had nightmares every night since we got here."

"Oh . . ." Tina rolled onto her back, staring up at the ceiling. "I'm so sorry."

Newt frowned. "For what?"

"I've been keeping you from sleeping well," she said.

He laughed. "Tina, you're ridiculous. It hasn't bothered me at all."

They fell silent, neither one wanting to move, but Newt knew he had to get up.

"We need to get out of bed, darling," he murmured. "I've got to feed the creatures and make us breakfast before we go to MACUSA. You've got a whole office to pack up today."