Book Signing

Newt tried to listen to the instructions he was being given but he was too distracted. He was incredibly nervous. He didn't like the thought of having to talk to a lot of people. He was also incredibly distracted by the unopened letter in his pocket. It had arrived that morning, just as he was preparing to leave. He hadn't had time to read it and that was the only thing he wanted to be doing.

Just then, Theseus and Leta entered the shop. They greeted him cheerfully.

"Hello, Theseus," he said coldly.

"What's wrong with you?" Theseus asked. Newt just glared at him. "Newt, if this is about the Common Welsh Green I promise you I had nothing to do with it."

"It was killed on one of your missions," Newt pointed out.

"I didn't authorize that. I didn't know they were going to kill it. Believe me, the ones who did are in trouble," Theseus explained.

Newt relaxed slightly. "I'm sorry, I should have said hello to you too, Leta."

Leta laughed slightly. "It's fine. I told Theseus you'd probably react that way."

Newt glanced between the two of them. He knew they had been dating for a while now but they seemed to be standing closer than he had seen them before.

"We've got something to tell you," Leta went on.

"Really?" 

"Yes, we're getting married," Theseus said.

Newt stared at them. A few months earlier, that announcement would have hurt, just like the announcement that they were dating had hurt, but now he didn't care. He had a girlfriend, no a fiancée, of his own and he loved her desperately.

"Congratulations!" he managed. "I'm sure you'll be happy together."

"Thank you," they said.

They all moved to stand behind the desk. They were informed that it would be about ten minutes before they would start so Newt quickly pulled out his letter and opened it. He began reading it, ignoring everyone around him.

Dear Newt,

I meant to write yesterday but I was too annoyed and too tired to do so. Before you jump down my throat for not getting enough sleep I promise you that's not the problem. I've been leaving work at 5:00 every day and I haven't taken any of my work home. You can ask Queenie if you don't believe me. The problem was I had a stressful day at work yesterday, and today too. You probably remember Harper, the Auror who's been my partner since I was reinstated. The thing is, he's moving to another state so I'm getting a new partner. I was introduced to him yesterday. His name's Achilles Tolliver. He's quite good looking, but nowhere near as handsome as you are. 

Tolliver is the reason yesterday was so stressful. The moment the two of us were alone in the room, he starts trying to flirt with me. It was very subtle but it was still flirting. Harper mentioned I have a boyfriend but I still haven't told Tolliver about you. Somehow, telling him I'm engaged just feels wrong. I don't know why and even Queenie says she doesn't understand. 

Sometimes I still can't believe you're my fiancé. I love you so much and I love writing the word fiancé. I really wish you were here right now. Everything is always so much easier to tolerate when I know I can just go home to you.

I'm getting distracted. Sorry. About Tolliver: I met him in the morning and he was in my office for a few minutes before I asked him to leave so I could finish my work. The problem was, I couldn't get away from him in the afternoon. I had to show him around MACUSA and had to answer all his questions. Well, all his work-related questions. More than half his questions were about me and many of them were very personal. He seems to be a nice, sweet man but spending time with him is exhausting. I spent half a day with him and I'm tired. I don't know how I'm supposed to work with him!