Silent Treatment

Tina sighed, pushing the door to her apartment open. It was after 7:30 and she had just left work. She was exhausted but she wasn't going to admit it. She didn't want to admit that Newt was right, that it wasn't healthy for her, but she knew it wasn't.

Achilles had offered to take her out to dinner but she had refused. She was too tired and all she wanted to do was go to sleep. There was something else she wanted to do but she didn't want to think about it. She wanted to be spending time with Newt in his case, preferably kissing him. 

Quickly shaking the thought from her head, she closed the door behind her and moved further into the room.  Queenie moved out from the room.

"Tina!" she called. "I've got something for you!"

"What?" Tina asked, suppressing a yawn.

"Here, let me get it." She moved back into their room, speaking over her shoulder. "I was thinking about saving it for your birthday but I didn't want to wait a month to give it to you."

Tina smiled a weak smile. This was just like Queenie. She was incapable of surprises. She'd plan one but she'd get too excited and end up telling whoever the surprised was for all about it. Tina also suspected that her sister felt guilty about surprising people when no one could surprise her.

The blond woman hurried across the room, carrying a box. She handed it to her sister. Tina glanced up at her, setting the box on the table. She carefully lifted the lid and looked inside.

"Is this another dress?" she asked, mildly annoyed.

"No, Teen," Queenie giggled. "Take it out."

Tina reached into the box and pulled out whatever was inside. It was surprisingly heavy. She pulled it all the way out of the box, holding it at arm's length to get a good look at it. It was a coat made of black leather. She already owned a leather coat, most Aurors did, but she rarely wore it. It wasn't really the best quality and she found it rather uncomfortable. However, this coat was clearly good quality. She pulled it on. It was surprisingly comfortable.

"Oh, I'm so glad you like it!" Queenie grinned.

Tina smiled at her sister. She buttoned the coat and buckled the belt. Her only worry was that she wouldn't be able to move well in it, but when she rolled her shoulder and raised her arms, she realized she was able to move nearly perfectly.

"Thank you, Queenie," she said.

She reached up to adjust the collar, her fingers brushing against the thin gold chain around her neck. The collar was split into two halves that overlapped in the back. The bottom half of the coat was also split into two parts, meaning she'd be able to run easily.

"It looks great on you!" Queenie glanced at the clock. "I've prepared some supper for you. I need to go out."

"Go where?" Tina asked, suddenly suspicious.

Queenie shrugged, waving her hand in a dismissive gesture. "You know, out," she said vaguely.

Tina was suddenly angry. "You didn't, did you?" she exclaimed. Queenie's look was enough to give her an answer. "Queenie how could you? You know you can't do this!"

Tears were forming in Queenie's eyes. "But, Tina, he deserves to know everything that happened. I couldn't stand the holes in his memory."

"There's a law!" Tina fumed. "You're not dating him are you?"

"Well, we--"

"Queenie Goldstein!" she exploded. "You can't do this! There are laws! You're gonna get yourself arrested and Jacob Obliviated!" She didn't add her thoughts. And I could lose my job!