Promise Made

Newt's ship was leaving early in the morning. Queenie had prepared him a quick breakfast, grinned at him and Tina, said a quick goodbye, and went back to bed. He finished his breakfast. Then he and Tina pulled on their coats and left the apartment, finding an alley to Apparate towards the docks.

"I wish you didn't have to leave," Tina said as they made their way along the wharf.

"I do too," Newt assured her. They were walking side by side, Tina's arm around Newt's waist, his arm around her shoulders. It was a comfortable position for them, one they entered without thinking. "But I've got work to do."

They came to a stop near the ship. 

"Why do you have to live in London?" Tina demanded.

"Because that's where I grew up and that's where I'm having my book published," Newt said.

Tina let out a frustrated sigh. "I hate this. I miss you so much when you're gone. I've gotten so used to having you around and being close to you."

Newt smiled sadly and pulled her into a hug. "I don't like this either but I promise I'll be back."

"Really?" she asked.

"Of course," Newt murmured. "All I have to do is edit my manuscript one last time and send it back in. I'll be back in New York a few days after Valentine's day."

"You promise?"

Newt nodded. "I promise." He pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. "I love you so much, Tina." 

"I love you too."

They kissed again, not caring that they were standing on a crowded dock. They were brought back to reality as the ship's horn sounded. They pulled apart slowly.

"I love you, Tina," Newt murmured. "I'll see you in a few weeks."

Tina nodded and Newt turned. He quickly made his way up the gangplank, vanishing into the ship. 

Staring after him, Tina stifled a yawn and slowly made her way to a hidden corner where she could Apparate home. When she entered the apartment, she quickly made her way to the room she shared with her sister and dropped into bed, not bothering to change back into her pajamas. She kicked off her shoes and tugged her blankets over herself, falling asleep instantly.

Tina sighed as she set another paper in front of her. She stared at it, rolling her quill between her thumb and forefinger. Letting out a sigh, she ran her free hand through her hair.

Harper came into the room. "I'm here for the file, Goldstein," he said. "Is it ready?"

"Uh, no," Tina said. "Sorry. I should deal with that." She rummaged around until she found the folder she wanted. Flipping it open, she stared at the first paper but her gaze was unfocused.

"You're distracted," Harper pointed out.

Tina blinked, her eyes coming into focus. "Sorry. I just--" She stopped abruptly.

"Where's your boyfriend?" Harper asked.

Tina laughed. "Why do you care?"

"It's just so incredible to think that you actually have a boyfriend," he explained. "I've known you for years, Goldstein, and you've never dated anyone."

"How would you know, Harper?"

"I've never seen you with anyone," he replied. "So, where's your boyfriend?"

"On his way back to England," Tina replied. "He's got work to do."

"So that's why you're so distracted."

Tina sighed. "Maybe it is but now you're the one who's distracting me." She laughed. "Get out Harper so I can deal with the file. Come back in fifteen to twenty minutes and it should be done."

Harper grinned and left the room. Tina rolled her eyes and slowly started working on the papers in front of her.

Newt will be back soon enough, she reminded herself. He promised.

A/N: This is so short but I'm so lazy so . . . Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Please vote and comment!

Have a good day!

Bye!

Written January 16, 2019.