The Ministry

Tina followed Newt through the streets of Paris. He led her to a deserted alley and offered her his hand. She started and pulled away, glaring at him.

"Tina, we need to Apparate," Newt said sadly. 

She hesitantly took his hand and felt the familiar pull of Apparating. Newt released her hand the moment they appeared. He didn't want to but he respected her decision. He motioned for her to follow and they stepped towards the end of the alley. He glanced out to the square where he could see vines creeping towards the center to form an elevator that would take them down into the Ministry.

Newt set down his case and began digging in his pocket for a small vile.

"The box is in the ancestral records room, Tina, so it's three floors down," he explained.

Tina crossed her arms and took a step forward. "Is that polyjuice?" she asked, amazed that always seemed to have something useful.

"It's just enough to get me inside." Newt uncorked the bottle and drank the contents. He began twitching, his features transforming to those of his brother's. His hair got shorter and darker and he glanced back at the elevator.

"Who?" Tina started.

"It's my brother, Theseus," Newt explained. "He's an Auror." Reaching for his case, he looked up at Tina. "And a hugger."

Tina watched as Newt ran off. It was strange to think that this man she had never seen before was actually the man she had loved, and still loved. She had seen him transform in front of her but it was unsettling to hear Newt's familiar voice coming from this stranger's lips. Of course, now that she had learned he was Newt's brother, she could see the similarities. But they're still so different.

She quickly moved to follow after Newt and they descended into the Ministry together. They moved through the busy halls into a large, open area filled with rows of desks. Tina noticed that Newt was looking up at something on the floor above, a worried expression on his face. She followed his gaze to see a man standing behind the rail, staring right at them. And he looked just like Newt did at that moment.

Theseus Scamander, Tina realized.

Theseus moved quickly and Newt sped up. Tina hurried after him and they ducked into a corridor.

Newt looked down at his hand, it was beginning to transform back to his own.

"I don't suppose you can Disapparate on Ministry premises in France, can you?" he asked, knowing the answer.

"Nope," Tina replied matter of factly. She was annoyed with him again. He had gotten them into this mess and now he expected her to get them out of it. Suddenly, he began to twitch again and Tina looked at him, shocked to see his familiar features return.

"Newt!" she exclaimed.

"Yes, I know. I know."

They came to a stop. Right in front of them was a pillar with a number of posters on it. Newt's face looked at them shyly and a voice came over a speaker. It was in French so Tina didn't understand a word that was said, only recognizing Newt's name, but Newt knew he was, once again, a wanted criminal.

"Newt!" Theseus came running out from a doorway.

Newt and Tina began running in the opposite direction. 

"Newt!" Theseus repeated.

"Oh," Newt said, glancing behind him.

"That's your brother?" Tina asked, glancing at Newt.

"So, I think I may have mentioned in my letters that we have quite a complicated relationship," he explained as they ran.

"Newt, stop!"

They turned into an open room. 

"Does he want to kill you?" Tina questioned.

"Frequently."

They ran between two people pushing carts. One of them was piled with boxes.

"Enough!" Theseus shouted. He cast a spell, hitting the boxes and sending them in their direction.

Newt and Tina both raised their wands, blocking the boxes and knocking them back, holding many of them suspended in midair. They turned to face Theseus. He lowered his wand.

"He needs to control his temper!" Tina exclaimed. She swung her arm down, shooting a spell at Newt's brother. It hit him, sending him flying back and into a chair. His wrists were tied together as he spun into another room.

"I think that might have been the best moment of my life," Newt laughed. He wanted to turn and pull Tina into his arms, kissing her deeply, but he knew he couldn't.

He cast a spell to send all the boxes back to their cart and Tina's face broke into a smile. It had been months since she smiled and it felt wonderful. She loved the fact that she had made Newt's day. Even if she couldn't be with him, at least she could make him laugh.

They turned and quickly ran further into the Ministry, not knowing that both of them wanted the same thing and both thinking they couldn't have it.

A/N: Again, it's kinda short but I've got plans. I hope you enjoyed. Please vote and comment.

I think you'll like the next chapter. I'll see if I can get it written tomorrow morning before I go to church. I do need to shower though so I'm not sure.

Anyway, have a good day!

Bye!

Written February 1, 2019.