One More Promise

Tina sighed as she lay on the couch, reading a book.

"What's wrong?" Newt asked, staring down into her brown eyes. Her head was in his lap and she looked up at him.

"You're really leaving tomorrow?" she asked.

"You know I have to."

"But I don't want you to," she whined. "I want you to stay here."

"I want to stay here too, Tina," Newt murmured, running his hand through her hair. "But you know I can't. This trip is even more important than the last two."

Tina sighed again and went back to her book. Newt also went back to reading but he continued stroking Tina's hair.

Eventually, they knew it was time to go to bed. Tina refused to move so Newt struggled out from under her, picked her up, and carried her across the room. He set her down in front of her door and gave her a brief kiss.

"Good night, darling," he murmured.

"I like it when you call me that," she said sleepily.

Newt chuckled. "I like calling you that."

He kissed her again.

"Good night," she mumbled. Then she went into her room and Newt went into his.

Newt and Tina walked arm in arm along the wharf. It was the middle of the morning but Tina didn't really care that she was missing work.

"I still don't want you to go," Tina muttered when they came to a stop.

Newt laughed. "I know. I'll be back. This should be the last time I have to go to London for a long time. My book is being published and then I've got a book signing on the 19th. I'll be coming back as soon as I can."

Tina pouted and he ran the back of a finger along her cheek.

"I wish I could go with you," she mumbled. "But I've got so much work."

Newt pulled her into a hug. They clung to each other for a few minutes, neither one speaking.

"I love you, Tina," Newt murmured presently. "I'll be back as soon as possible. Then I'll find a house in New York, we'll get married, and we'll be together for the rest of our lives. I won't have to go back to England continually."

Tina sighed. "I love you too."

They pulled apart and looked at each other. Newt took Tina's hands in his, running his thumbs along the backs of her hands. He glanced down at them. The silver band on her left ring finger glinted, reminding them of their promise.

Newt leaned forward and captured Tina's lips in a gentle kiss. They pulled back a moment later.

"I love you," Newt said once again. "You're the only woman I've ever loved and I hope you never doubt that."

Tina nodded. "You're the only man I've ever loved as well."

"Goodbye, darling."

"Bye, Newt."

A/N: I don't have anything else to say. These chapters when Newt leaves are always really short. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Please vote and comment.

Have a good day!

Bye!

Written January 19, 2019.