Letters

Tina Goldstein never received mail. When she did, it was always from MACUSA; the clean, inconspicuous envelope containing a neatly typewritten letter, stamped with the MACUSA seal. However, one December, that all changed.

The first letter had been a surprise. An owl had brought it, tapping on the glass of the window in the living room. Queenie was in the other room so Tina unlatched the window, pushing it open. The tawny owl fluttered in, landing on the back of the couch. Having shut the window, Tina turned back to the owl. It had a letter in its beak. Reaching forward, she took the letter from the bird.

Tina examined the envelope. She let out a quiet gasp. It was sealed with a seal of blue wax and the imprint in the wax once one she recognized. She had seen it once before, on the cover of a journal. It was a simple seal, composed of an 'N' and an 'S' entwined and enclosed in an elongated hexagon.

Newt Scamander.

Tina shakily turned the envelope over. There, in the middle of the cream-colored paper, was her name and address, written in black ink. In the corner was another address, an address in London. She carefully broke the seal, tying her hardest not to damage the blue wax. Then she pulled out the letter and slowly unfolded it.

Dear Tina,

I hope you don't mind me writing to you. I arrived in London last night and thought I should let you know. I'm not sure why though.

My trip back was uneventful. My case stayed shut and nothing escaped. I've been working on adding extra enchantments to the case. It should be nearly impossible for anything to escape on its own. I've also fixed the latch so the case won't come open on its own anymore.

I was glad to see that my house was still in one piece and that all my creatures were safe when I arrived. I didn't really think it wouldn't, my assistant, Bunty, is more than capable of taking care of my creatures, but it's always a relief to know that all my creatures are safe.

There was something different about the next paragraph, something about the handwriting. It was still Newt's but it seemed messier, almost unsure; as if Newt had been hesitant to write the next few words.

I know it sounds strange since we hardly know each other and it's only been a few days since I left, but I've already started to miss you. You were one of my first real friends, the only others being Jacob and Queenie. I miss them too, of course, but think (and now the handwriting got even messier) that I may just miss you more than them.

I'm really sorry if you don't want me to write to you. If you don't want to hear from me again, don't hesitate to tell me so and I promise I won't write.

Sincerely,
Newt

____

Newt stared at the envelope in his hands.

She replied, he thought. She actually replied! Suddenly, he was nervous. What if she only replied to tell me not to write again?

Shaking these thoughts from his head, Newt slowly opened the envelope and pulled out the neatly folded sheet of paper. He carefully unfolded it and began to read.

Dear Newt,

Of course, I'm not upset that you wrote to me. Why would I be? I'm glad to know you got home safely and that nothing escaped while you were on that ship. I'd hate if my first investigation now that I'm back as an Auror had been dealing with a No-maj ship full of magical creatures.