CHAPTER NINETEEN: Shattered Pieces

~Yamato's POV~

Things have started to get better now. I'm no longer an inpatient but I still have to go to the hospital occasionally for chemotherapy. I'm living in this old, Victorian style house that's covered up with vines and leaves. Oh...and I did loose some hair but not a lot compared to most people who have received chemotherapy. Meanwhile, Mashiro is doing her studies here in France. She couldn't afford to pay for the complete schooling or to get a tutor to help her learn French so I decided to help her out a bit. It's the most I can do to repay her since she's trying her best to take care of me. Suddenly, I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. I look at the screen to see the caller... it's Dr. Revel.

"Hello! It's Dr. Revel speaking from the General Hospital of Paris. Yamato..." He hesitates for a second. Shoot...what's wrong? Is the chemotherapy not working again?"

"I have great news!!!" He said with excitement. I felt a bit of relief.

"What is it doctor?" I asked. "We've found a match, a perfect match for the bone marrow transplant! But we still haven't been able to contact the donor. We can't seem to locate her. I've tried to call her personally but the phone number she gave isn't in service. We still have her address so we'll be able to track her down. We need to do a physical examination of her to make sure she's still healthy but don't worry about that. Your lucky this person gave in to help you. Congratulations!"

Bone marrow transplant? They've finally found a match? Yes! That means...I might actually survive this. "Wow, thank you so much! I'm really glad the person donated me... I need to thank her. Please contact her as soon as possible!" I said. "Yes, of course. Anyways take care. Bye." Dr. Revel said. "You too!"I replied quickly.

I-I can't believe it...this time...I can finally be cured and enter remission. It will be gone. I'm so ecstatic. Who ever that person is... I'm really thankful for their donation.

So I stood there, silently thanking the donor when all of sudden I heard a girly voice yell from the door. "Yamato-kun! I went to the supermarket and got you food and medicine for that cold you have. C'mon, eat up while it's still warm." Lately, Mashiro was the one running errands while I've been housebound since she thinks that if I leave the house, I'm going to somehow "get cancer again." Sorry Mashiro but it doesn't work that way.

"Mashiro-chan, great timing. Guess what?!" I asked, smiling like an idiot. "Looks like you're in high spirits. What is it?" She chuckled. "They've found a match for the bone marrow transplant!" I practically yelled. "REALLY??? THAT'S GREAT! I-I'm so happy! I really am..."

A few tears streamed down her face as she hugged me tightly... I slowly put my arms around her but then, I stop. I dropped my arms and left them by my sides. I know we're dating but we haven't even held hands yet...nor did we even kiss. It just felt so weird to do even the slightest romantic gesture around Mashiro...

"Yamato-kun, are you alright?" Mashiro asked, innocently. "Uhh yeah. I'm glad you're happy..." It suddenly felt awkward. Did she find out what I was thinking? She's just so quiet all of a sudden.

"U-uh! Your food getting cold Yamato-kun! Hurry up and eat!" She says with a smile as her face slowly turns blunt. "Should I feed you Yamato-kun?"

She say while putting a spoon of soup close to my mouth. "No. I can do it by myself. I'm not a child." Her face suddenly turns pale. Did I offend her? I didn't mean to. "Um-" I began but she cut me off. "I'm going out to the library for a bit." She said as she quickly grabbed her bag and put her books in. She looked so down. I can't let her be like this. She pulled one strap of her bag over her shoulder while leaving the other strap hanging, about to leave the room.

"Mashiro-chan, wait!" I exclaimed as I head towards her and hug her from the back. I can see her blush from the corner of my eyes. "I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings Mashiro-chan." I whisper.