CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX: Je t'aime

Sorry for not updating for four months 😕 It's been a hiatus and I hope you guys understand.

Le coeur a des raisins que la raisin me connaît pas.
The heart has it's reasons which reason knows nothing of.
-Blaise Pascal

~Mei's POV~

"W-what if I actually liked you...Yamato-kun?" I whispered.

He didn't move at all but his eyes were staring into mine intensely before awkwardly laughing.

"Nice joke Mei-chan. You almost fooled me. Almost." He continued to laugh before realizing that I wasn't laughing at all.

"Yamato-kun...I think I love you." I whispered.

This time, he stopped laughing at me completely. He opened his mouth to speak but quickly closed it.

Did I ruin my only chance? He doesn't love me does he? No, I could see it in his eyes that he still loved Mashiro even if their engagement was off. Obviously he wouldn't fall for me, it's just impossible.

Taking his silence as a no, I walked out quietly. Over and over I silently begged for him to cry and hug me, hoping that he liked me back but why would he? I wouldn't either.

I know I'm horrible, rude and annoying but I can't change that. New year, new me? People don't change, only their desires and feelings. They pretend to change for someone they want but once the magic is over, everyone reveals their ugly inner self.

But I've already revealed all my flaws and mistakes. Yamato wouldn't want to be with someone like me at all because I'm such a nuisance while Mashiro is an angel to him.

I walked out in the cold as the wind blew my hair in every direction. I cursed at myself for leaving my jacket in the restaurant but I was not about to go back the and face the humiliation of rejection.

I must not break down. I must not cry again. I must not be so easily defeated.

C'est la vie.

And life goes on.

When I arrived in front of my hotel room, I reached into my purse to grab my keys and open the door before flinging everything onto the couch, kicking my heels off and jumping onto my bed.

All these thoughts in my head, I need to stop thinking about them. I can't just cry a river over everything. I can deal with them later.

The thing about living in the modern day society is that no one really needed to interact with one another. Instead, we had mechanisms of coping like TVs, phones and WiFi.

I turned on the TV flipping through an endless list of channels, trying to forget all of my current worries. Finally, I found an English rom com.

My English may be a million times better than my French but that's because I could barely utter a coherent word in French. My English wasn't as on par as people who were in the States so I found myself lost when trying to understand the racy jokes in the movie. I think it was about three psychotic women wanting to kill a man for being rich but I wasn't exactly sure.

Soon, I found myself dozing off as the three women go on a random trip to tropical land.

But not long after, I find myself waking up in what was like a drug induced haze. I couldn't see anything well and overwhelming colours surrounding me. Out of focus lights flickered, shining neon colours into my eyes.

I tried screaming for help but no one came. I was stuck there for what seemed like an eternity before a little boy's hand appeared. He was around half my height with his dark hair covering his eyes. He wore a black polo shirt with khaki shorts and sandals, an odd choice of clothes for a little boy. He turned around but he lead me out of the room.