The Birthday Party

En başından başla

"I heard from my boys that you're excellent in your studies, is that true?" Mr Kim chuckled.

Taehyung scratched his head. When did he even say that?

"Well..." Jisoo laughed. That kind of question was kind of hard to answer. Her eyes landed on the present that was on the table. "Oh-! Auntie, why don't you open the present? I'm sure you'll really like it."

Mrs Kim smiled. "Really? I really have to open it then."

Jisoo reached over to grab the box and handed it over excitedly to Mrs Kim. Mrs Kim shook the box, listening for what could be inside. But there was no sound.

"What could it be? A towel? Clothes?" Mrs Kim asked excitedly.

Jisoo giggled. "Just open it and you'll know."

"Alright, alright..." Mrs Kim lifted up the lid of the box. "Oh! It's a..." Mrs Kim let out a chuckle. "Oh... it's a muffler!"

She pulled out the muffler and Taehyung scrutinised the muffler carefully. The design, the colours, the patterns - everything looked so familiar.

Taehyung's eyes fell on Seokjin, whose eyes were open so wide, as if it was the first time he saw the muffler. Taehyung frowned. Didn't they buy the present together?

Jisoo's smile faded as she watched Mrs Kim stare at the muffler with an awkward smile on her face. "Why? Do you not like the present?"

"No, not at all..." Mrs Kim shook her head and smiled. "It's just..."

"It's just...? Is the design not to your liking?"

Taehyung knew it at once. No wonder the muffler looked so familiar. That muffler-

"It's just that I have the exact same muffler," Mrs Kim laughed. "I got it as a birthday present from Byulyi exactly a year ago."

~

"Oh..." Jisoo tried to maintain her smile but her voice was evidently quivering. "Byulyi? I see."

"You know Byulyi, don't you?" Mr Kim chuckled slightly. "She and our Seokjin are best friends since the first week of school." He turned to Mrs Kim. "I quite like her, that girl."

Seokjin shifted uncomfortably in his seat, letting out a cough, but his parents didn't seem to notice at all.

Mrs Kim nodded in agreement. "She's really polite and kind-hearted! Oh, and she's got great sense too." Mrs Kim turned to her husband, hitting him excitedly. "Remember what she said about my kimchi last year? A work of art, she said. A work of art!" Mrs Kim laughed happily.

Taehyung noticed that Jisoo wasn't looking too good, so he coughed even louder, on behalf of Seokjin. But their parents went on.

Mr Kim laughed as well, seeing his wife so happy. "I remember, I remember! You talked about that for weeks. Her dad jokes are so funny, too! Even better than Seokjin-ie's, if you ask me. Do you remember that joke - how does a cow laugh?"

Mrs Kim was laughing hysterically. "I know, I know!"

"MOOHAHAHAHAHA!" The two of them said simultaneously and melted into a fit of laughter. It took them a whole minutes to calm themselves down.

"We're so sorry," Mrs Kim turned back to Jisoo, drying her tears. "It's just that we haven't seen Byulyi for a long time and we kind of miss her. You guys are in the same class... Are you two close?"

Jisoo swallowed hard. Even though Taehyung wasn't very fond of her, he kind of felt bad for her at this point.

"Of course they're close!" Taehyung couldn't stand the awkwardness any longer, and answered on behalf of Jisoo. "They both get along with Seokjin-ie, how can they not be close!"