"It isn't your fault... but sometimes you still have to apologise about things that you didn't mean to do."

"What do you mean?"

"As long as someone was hurt by your actions, even if they were accidental and it wasn't your fault, you still have to apologise."

"I don't understand, mom."

"That's just the way things are, honey." Jieun's mom said gently. "This doesn't mean that you have to apologise for every single little thing though, like you always do."

Jieun frowned. "Then how would I know when to say sorry and when not to?"

Jieun's mom laughed. "I guess, that comes with a bit of experience. You're still young, Jieun. Incidents like these will teach you when to differentiate between the two."

Jieun thought hard. "So... this time, I should apologise?"

"Yes, dear."

"I got it," Jieun said decisively, looking determined as she picked up her phone. "I trust you, mom. I'll go apologise now."

~

"Hello? Jungkook?" Jieun's heart was beating so fast she felt like it was about to leap out of her chest. "I'm Jieun-ie..."

It was already 1.30am. After talking to her mom, she had finally mistered up enough courage to call Jungkook. Surprisingly, it was an old lady who answered the phone. "Jieun-ie?"

Jieun let out an awkward laugh. The lady sounded like she was in her 60s to 70s. Jungkook's grandma, she thought. "Yes, grandma. I'm Jieun-ie, Jungkook's classmate. Isn't this Jungkook's phone?

"Oh, I see..." Even though she couldn't see her face, Jieun knew she was smiling. "Yes, he's in his room. He forgot to bring his phone with-

"Grandma!" Jieun heard a door open and Jungkook's voice echo in the background. "Why are you not asleep yet?"

"Jungkook-ah!" Jungkook's grandma let out a cute chuckle. "I heard your phone ringing. She says her name is Jieun-ie? Is she your girlfriend?"

Silence.

"I'll bring you back to your room first, grandma." Jieun heard the shuffling of feet, then silence and a door closing softly.

"Hello?"

Jieun's heart raced. Jungkook was on the phone.

"Jung-"

"Lee Jieun? Sorry about that, I was bringing my grandma back to her room."

"It's alright," Jieun let out a small chuckle but her heart was still thumping hard against her chest. But at least Jungkook was willing to talk to her. "You live with your grandma?"

Silence.

"Yeah, I do."

Then a long awkward pause.

"I called because I wanted to tell you something," Jieun swallowed hard. "I'm sorry I called so late... I kept changing my mind whether to call or not."

"Oh, really?" Jungkook sounded cautious. "I have something I wanted to tell you too."

Something you wanted to tell me?

"Can I go first?" Jieun asked.

"I feel like it's regarding the same thing, how about we say it at the same time?"

"How are you so sure?" Jieun frowned. "Mine is a serious matter, though."

"Mine, too."

"Alright, fine."

"1... 2... 3!"

"I'm sorry," The both said at the same time.

Why would he even apologise?

"See, I told you?" Jungkook laughed over the phone. "I wanted to say I'm sorry too. But you go first."

Jieun took a deep breath. Now it was time to do it properly. "I'm really sorry about asking you about the necklace. I didn't know it meant so much to you... Next time, I won't ask again."

"It's really fine..." Jungkook said gently. "I was reflecting on the way I reacted and realised that I overreacted as well. I'm sorry."

"Nah, it's mostly my fault," Jieun frowned. "I shouldn't have been such a busybody, I-"

"No, I should have been more understanding," Jungkook insisted. "It's something that has passed for so long already, I really shouldn't be so fixated on the past."

"No, I'm really in the wrong. I should have asked Yoojung first if it meant anything to you, I shouldn't have straight out asked you such an insensitive question-"

"No, it's really fine. It's my fault because it's not like I'll never tell you this anyway. In fact, I was thinking of telling you about it soon enough, just that I was taken aback by your sudden question- Really, I'm at fault-"

"No, I-"

"But I-"

The two of them simultaneously burst into laughter.

"What are we doing right now?" Jieun chortled.

"Why are we arguing that it's our own fault..." Jungkook chuckled lightly. "Let's stop it."

"I forgive you, Jeon Jungkook. Will you forgive me?"

"I forgive you, Lee Jieun." Jungkook answered immediately. "Thanks for taking courage to do something I was too cowardly to do.

"I'm glad I took such a difficult step. If not, neither of us would have done it. And it might have led into more misunderstandings," Jieun smiled.

"Goodnight, Lee Jieun. Rest well."

"Goodnight," Jieun said with a huge grin. "You too."

And she put down the phone. Finally, her mind was at peace. She was ready to have a good night's sleep. She turned off the lights and tucked herself under her blanket, but her room door opened one more time and her mom peeked in with a cheeky look on her face.

"I'm 100% sure that guy ain't just a friend."

"MOM!"