Michael laughed, shaking his head as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. "You ain't changed one bit."

"Never," she looked up watching him yawn and bit down on her bottom lip. "Are you too tired to..." She was cut off as Michael picked her up bridal style causing her to squeal. "I guess not."

He gently kissed her lips and then focused on where he was walking in the dark, heading to the back entrance of the building where they were renting out the condo. "You guessed right."

***
A chair is still a chair, even when there's no one sittin' there
But a chair is not a house and a house is not a home
When there's no one there to hold you tight
And no one there you can kiss goodnight
***

3 & A HALF YEARS LATER

"Semaj!" Michael barked his eyes dark as he watched her grab a handful of his clothes, taking it out of his suitcase and throwing it onto the ground. She went for more but he grabbed her wrist. She snatched from him, his once neatly folded clothes flying across the room.

"You don't get to walk out on me Michael!" She screamed and went back for another handful, but he pushed her back. "Not on us!"

"And why the hell not?!" He'd been back at his suitcase, but stopped and whipped around. "What the fuck is left for me here? Cuz it damn sure ain't you. How could you do that to me?!" His voice rose with each word, "to us?!"

"Because I couldn't go through it again! I couldn't go through it again and I needed you to understand. I needed you to see my pain, but you didn't. You don't! You coddled me like a child and belittled the way I was feeling. You didn't let me breathe! You pushed and pushed and fucking pushed!"

"I had been through it before Semaj. I coulda helped you! We woulda healed together, but that ain't what you wanted. I wasn't what you wanted."

She whimpered her arms going weak and light tears easing down her caramel face. "It was hard with you, okay?! I told you that but you wouldn't fucking listen! It was easier with Jay. And before you go there he was only a friend Michael, but once again you let your jealousy blind you and couldn't see that he was there to comfort me and to be a listening ear when I needed one."

Michael's hands slapped his chest as he looked at his wife. "That shoulda been me! You ain't have to turn to another nigga for somethin' I woulda gave to you so easily!"

"It was easier to look at him than to..."

"To what?"

To look at you, she wanted to say but didn't.

Semaj shook her head and went over to the suitcase. Michael tried to grab it before she could get to it, but she yanked it off the bed, using the little bit of strength she did have to toss it across the room. It flipped over and collided with the full-length mirror leaning against the wall shattering it as the remainder of Michael's clothes fell out onto the floor.

"You promised. We promised we would never walk out on each other. You would never walk out on me!"

"That shit changed the minute you did what you did! You knew it was gon hurt me when I found out. That's why you kept that shit from me. You knew how pissed off I was gon be to know that my wife, my wife, would go and do some shit like that to me. Haven't I been through enough?"

"You, you, you, you. It's always fucking you!" She yelled at him. "What about me? Huh? I had it the worst, but you can't open your eyes for one goddamn minute to see it. I was here damn near dying and where were you? Flying around the world and-"