49 - Catalyst

Saturday, July 12

The night was hot and humid and the valley of the Brendon Hills near Stogumber was silent. The crickets didn't chirp; there was no hooting of an owl or screech of a stray bat. Sirius felt the quiet pressing in on his ears and had the subconscious urge to look around him in precaution.

He could make out a huge wrought-iron gate across the road. Not even a leaf rustled on the trees lining the driveway of the huge mansion looming in front of him.

A familiar figure in dark green robes was quickly making her way to the building from the opposite side of the road. Her pale face stood out like the full moon from under her straight, black hair that was astonishingly let loose today. Sirius had to look again to make sure he hadn't mistaken that it was, in fact, Hestia.

"In a hurry, are we?" smirked Sirius, catching up to her. She turned around in alarm, whipping out her wand that she had apparently been holding on to. Sirius put up his hands in defence and she breathed out in relief once she realized who it was.

"For Merlin's sake, Sirius, why would you do that?"

Her tone lacked some of its ire, having been thoroughly taken by surprise, and Sirius felt the stirrings of shame for having startled her.

"Er, I didn't mean to-sorry," he mumbled and she quickly waved away his apology. She tapped the wrought-iron gates with her wand and they creaked open slowly.

"Where are Tonks and Remus?" said Hestia, resuming her brisk pace with Sirius in stride, who breathed in the intoxicating aroma of crisp juniper in the air, relishing the scent.

"I think they haven't surfaced from their house for a week now," said Sirius with a light-hearted chuckle. "Newly-married and all that."

"Common sense would have led you to check on them."

Sirius stopped dead in his tracks. Why the bloody hell hadn't he thought of that? "Bollocks."

"I'm sure they're fine," said Hestia, rolling her eyes and looking past him.

Sirius turned to look at her in worry. "But what if-"

He was cut short when he heard a hushed voice, "Sirius, over here!"

He sighed in relief when he saw both Remus and Tonks and he rounded on Hestia, grinning. "You had me there."

Hestia gave no response, but Sirius could make out that she was smirking.

They met with the couple standing near the shadows beside the front door of the mansion. Both of them had the tell-tale looks of newly-weds, even though Remus was starting to look a tad ill. It was no secret that the full moon was coming up soon.

"You look worn out, mate," whispered Sirius into his friend's ear, nudging his ribs with a playful wink. Remus' face bloomed with colour and he glanced at Tonks surreptitiously. It took great effort on Sirius' part to stop from laughing out loud and embarrassing him further.

"One more word and I'll turn you into a bullfrog," Remus warned him through gritted teeth.

"How do we get in?" wondered Tonks aloud, thankfully not having heard their exchange.