26 - Loyal Friends & Mirror Calls

Tuesday, September 3

After their rather eventful first day, Harry, Ron, and Hermione had a free period early next morning. They walked over to their favourite beech tree and sat down under the cool morning sun.

Harry caught them up on Dumbledore's visit to his house. He had been meaning to tell them quite earlier, but the common rooms were always crowded and people had the annoying habit of trying to listen in on their conversations. It was very difficult to find somewhere private these days as everyone wanted to know what the Chosen One was up to with his friends.

"So, he came to deliver your OWLs? That's it?" said Ron, looking rather disappointed.

"What do you mean 'that's it'?" asked Harry, narrowing his eyes.

"Well... we thought he would discuss... things with you," said Ron, mysteriously.

"Ron!" came Hermione's reproachful tone.

Harry pulled out the letter that had been in his bed on his first night back at Hogwarts and thrust it into Ron's hands. "This was left for me in my bed on our first night back."

Hermione leaned in to read the letter along with Ron.

"Blimey! Private lessons with Dumbledore? Could this be because of the prophecy?" Ron blurted out excitedly. Hermione gave him a withering glare.

Harry pretended to speak casually, "We did discuss it at the end of last year."

Ron and Hermione froze as they hung on to every word he was saying.

"The glass ball that smashed wasn't the only record of the prophecy. The Daily Prophet has got it right this time," said Harry in the same would-be casual voice. "At least, the prophecy said, 'Neither can live while the other survives.'"

Hermione nearly squealed. "Harry, oh, Harry..."

She put her arm on Harry's as she looked at him worriedly. "We wondered, after we got back from the Ministry... Obviously, we didn't have time to say anything to you and we couldn't put that in any of our letters, but from what Lucius Malfoy said about the prophecy, how it was about you and Voldemort, well, we thought it might be something like this... Oh, Harry..." She stared at him, then whispered, "Are you scared?"

"Not as much as I was," said Harry. "When I first heard it, I was... but now, it seems as though I always knew I'd have to face him in the end..."

"But, this is brilliant!" said Ron, eagerly. "Dumbledore wouldn't be giving you lessons if he thought you were a goner, wouldn't waste his time - he must think you've got a chance!"

"That's true," said Hermione. "I wonder what he'll teach you, Harry? Really advanced defensive magic, probably... powerful counter-curses... anti-jinxes..."

Harry did not really listen. A warmth was spreading through him that had nothing to do with the sunlight. He knew that Ron and Hermione were more shocked than they were letting on, but the mere fact that they were still there on either side of him, speaking bracing words of comfort, not shrinking from him as though he were contaminated or dangerous, was worth more than he could ever tell them. He had more than only Sirius on his side. He had his best friends with him too.