46 - A Grave Mistake

"Harry?"

The sudden voice made Harry jump in surprise, having been lost in his thoughts for a while.

"Ginny," breathed Harry, relieved at the sight of the red-haired girl. He had to admit he had been terrified for a moment that it could be someone else. He was already spooked out by the sudden intrusion into his mind minutes earlier. He wondered where his two best friends had got off to. "What's wrong? Where's Ron and Hermione?"

"All the Prefects have been called up to the staff room," explained Ginny. "We're to go to our dormitories until the Prefects come and talk to us."

"Oh," said Harry distractedly, walking along with Ginny beside him.

"Are you okay?" asked Ginny with a frown.

"I'm fine," said Harry automatically.

Ginny looked like she didn't believe him, but thankfully she didn't press him about it. They walked together in silence for a while and they were met halfway by Dean, Seamus, Demelza, and Jimmy Peakes.

Dean looked at Harry, then at Ginny. "Did you just hear Dumbledore's-?"

"Yes," said Ginny, slipping her hand into his. "We heard."

"What do you think is going to happen to Hogwarts?" said Seamus. "I heard someone saying it would be closed."

"They can't close Hogwarts," said Demelza immediately. "What will Muggleborns like us do?"

"You really think Muggleborns will come next year without Dumbledore?" asked Jimmy.

"I, for one, will be coming no matter who's the Headmaster," said Demelza.

"Demelza's right," said Dean. "Won't it be McGonagall who will be the next Headmistress? Hogwarts isn't totally unsafe."

"You're saying that now," said Seamus glumly. "But it's not that simple. The Board of Governors will appoint the new Headmaster or Headmistress. Until they do, we can't be certain of who it'll be."

"I heard school is closing earlier than usual," said Jimmy. "What about our exams?"

"We have OWLs next week," said Ginny. "They'll most likely postpone them. Flitwick said they might."

They chatted aimlessly and reached the common room, which was packed with students, half-awake and in their pyjamas. A hushed silence fell on them and all pairs of eyes turned to stare at Harry.

"What are you all staring at?" came a voice from behind Harry, breaking the silence. Neville had entered just behind them and he was now pushing his way forward, taking a seat on a couch beside the fire. Dean, Seamus, and Ginny joined Neville on the carpeted floor, starting up a discussion on the events in the past hour that had took all the eyes off of Harry.

Harry was grateful to Neville, even though he probably hadn't intended to do so. He walked up to the stairs that led to his dorm, absentmindedly clutching the locket inside his robes. He was stopped by a hand on his forearm.

"Are you sure you're alright, Harry?" asked Demelza.

Tired of the question but not of the genuine concern, Harry pressed his lips into a reluctant smile. "I'll be fine," said Harry truthfully.