Chapter Twenty: Sirens.

*Okay so I know Nina's real life best friend is Julianne Hough but in this story, it's Claire Holt.*

*Nina's POV*

"Paul. It's been 4 hours. I'm kind of worried, Claire hasn't called me back." We were sitting in his living room watching the news.

"I'm sure she's just busy, or sleeping..." He suggested.

"That's not like Claire, she's my best friend. She's always there when I need her. Always. It makes no sense..." I was biting my index finger nail. I couldn't stop worrying.

"Maybe you should go..." He stopped as I got up and grabbed my purse. "Go to Claire's..." He finished.

"I love you. I'll be back." I said as I kissed him quickly and headed for the door.

"I'm sure everything's fine Neens." He said as I smiled at him and shut the door behind me.

The drive to Claire's is only about 10 minutes from Paul's house, but somehow I got there in 5 minutes. I suppose I was speeding.

"Claire?!" Her front door was wide open.

I walked in cautiously. "Claire?" I called again. I didn't see anyone. My heart started to beat much faster than the normal rate.

When I saw her, I stopped dead in my tracks. Everything around me stopped moving, the world went silent. Claire was lying on the floor in a pool of blood, the size of a welcome matte.

"Oh my God Claire no... NO CLAIRE WAKE UP!" I said as I crouched down next to her, my pants soaking up the blood.

I could see her eyes flicker under her eyelids.

"CLAIRE, CLAIRE CAN YOU HEAR ME?!?" I was screaming at her, tears were streaming down my face. I decided not to pick her up, because I wasn't sure what her injuries were.

"Hello, 911. My friend... I... I came to her house and..." I couldn't say it. I couldn't stop gasping for air. "She's lying her in her own blood, she's.... Alive but she's unconscious. PLEASE HURRY." I gave them the address and hung up.

"Claire please stay, please don't leave me. They're coming, to save you. Wake up please, Claire."

I heard the sirens, and I watched them take her away in the gurney. I couldn't contemplate what just happened, I had no idea how or what hurt her. I just sat there staring at the blood stain.

"Excuse me, Miss. We need to have a word with you." One of the police said.

I was hysterical.

"Is she going to be okay?"

"We aren't sure right now. She has multiple gun wounds to her side, we're just hoping there is no lasting effects. What we need from you is information, do you know who could have done this?"

Gun wounds. Someone shot her. Someone shot my best friend.

I started crying again. I had to sit on her couch. He sat down next to me. "Miss... Are you okay?"

"I'm... Sorry. I don't know anything, she wasn't answering her phone so I came to make sure... She was okay... She's not okay." I was crying into my hands when I heard him yelling.

"NINA?!?! ARE YOU OKAY?"

"Paul?!" I cried out. I needed him.

"Nina what happened?!" He said as he ran in. He stopped when he saw the blood on the floor.

"Claire... She..." I ran into his arms. He grabbed me tightly, and kissed the top of my head.

"Is she okay?! What happened?"

"She was shot... They don't know... If she's going to be okay..." I cried into his chest. He held the back of my head and squeezed me into him. I wasn't okay, I wasn't going to be okay without my best friend.

"Thank you for talking to us Miss. Dobrev." The cop said as he looked reassuringly at Paul.

"I wish I could have helped." I said through my tears.

"Don't worry, we'll catch the son of a bitch who did this." He said with a serious tone as he walked out the door.

We followed him. "Paul, I need to..." "We're going to the hospital right now. I'll drive your car." He said. I could tell he was worried, but he didn't want to show it. He wanted to seem strong for me, but I saw the tears in his eyes. Claire wasn't just my best friend, she was Paul's too.