Chapter Four: The Breakup

As i stepped onto our first scene of the day, Ian walked over to where i was standing. "Hey babe." He said in his "Damon Salvatore" voice. "Hey." I said back as i was engulfed by a kiss that did nothing but make me even more sure that i had undoubtedly fallen for Paul. "Nina, we need you now." Someone called from the middle of Stefan's bedroom. "Hey Neens." Paul said smiling at me. He was sitting on what was supposed to be Stefan's bed, getting ready to film our first kissing scene of the day. "Hey Paul." I said smiling as he pulled me down next to him. "Alright, action." A voice yelled. At that, we were no longer Nina Dobrev and Paul Wesley, we were Elena Gilbert and Stefan Salvatore. I smiled up at him as we opened the bottle of what we pretended was old champagne together. And that's when our lips fell into each others in a kiss that was a lot more passionate than what we used to share on set. I completely forgot we weren't ourselves and got lost in a kiss that i hoped was as powerful for him as it was for me. That's when they called cut. I bash fully pulled away, he did the same but slower. His eyes still closed when i looked up at him. "Good job both of you." Julie called from somewhere in the back. I quickly hurried to makeup before Ian could come up and talk to me.

I walked back onto set, but stood in the back as Candice and Paul filmed a scene together. I had hoped that Ian didn't notice the fact that i was avoiding him. There was just something about him that i couldn't stand at that moment.

"Hey Nina how are you?" I heard they voice i wanted to hear the least, and no it wasn't Ian. It was Torrey. "I came to bring Pauly some lunch." She said smiling and hugging me the way she always did. "Hi Torrey, nice to see you." I said in a half obviously fake voice, but i couldn't help it. The way she called him "Pauly" always ticked me off. "You too, I'm gonna go surprise Pauly now." She said as she walked over to where Paul was standing. I watched the look on his face as she grabbed him and pulled him in for a kiss. It was the same reaction i had, had with Ian. Like it was too much for him. I was staring at them, in bewilderment of how strongly she was coming on to him in front of everyone. That's when Candice came up behind me, "Nina, take the scowl off of your face before Ian see's you..." She said turning my attention to her. "You noticed?" I asked. "Yeah, Nina i see what you see, also i know you secretly feel like you're falling for Paul." "Shhhh!" I yelled as i pushed her into my trailer so we could talk.

Candice was one of my best friends, so she could read my mind better than i could. "Candice please don't tell anyone." I said as we sat on my couch. "I won't, but Nina you need to tell Ian..." She said. She was right, but i was too afraid... I might not be in love with him, but i don't want to hurt him.

The next day Ian invited me with him to the beach, i decided i owed it to him to go. Also, i couldn't temp myself anymore by being in the same town as Paul. "I'm so glad you came with me today, Nina." He said as we stepped onto the cold sand. "Yeah... Me too." I said in an almost awkward voice. "Nina there's something I want to talk to you about..." He said and my heart started pounding, what if he knew about Paul... That would ruin their friendship and it would be all my fault. "What's that?" I asked as casually as i could. "Nina, we've been dating for awhile know, and as you know, i love you very much. I've been thinking a lot over the last few months about how i think it's time I settle down, and well, Nina..." He got down on one knee and i froze, i was hoping and praying that he wasn't going to do what I thought he would do. "Nina, will you marry me?!" He said the words i didn't want to hear. I knew i didn't want to marry him, but how was I supposed to tell him that? I'm too young to be worrying about settling down and trying to be with someone i knew i wasn't in love with. "Ian..." "It's okay, you can think about it." He was so sweet, and down there on one knee he looked so innocent and smart, but i couldn't tell him yes, I knew it wasn't what I wanted.

The car ride home was completely silent, not a word was spoken by either of us. I decided when we got back to my apartment, i would tell him that i couldn't marry him.

"Ian listen..." "What's wrong Nina? You've been acting weird all week... I don't understand? Did i do something wrong?" I looked into his blue eyes and wondered i what i was doing was right, but the image of us getting married and having children made me realize i was doing the right thing.

"I'm not okay, I have no idea what I'm doing anymore. Ian I'm so sorry, but i can't marry you. I'm only 23, I'm not ready to settle down and right now i want to focus on my career..." I said, immediately scared of what he would say back. I looked at his face, he looked so sad, so disappointed. "I'm really sorry Ian, i just can't do this anymore." I said and i ran up to my room, knowing he would leave and call Paul. I had to be the one to tell Paul first, so i picked up the phone and called him. There were tears in my eyes as he answered the phone. "Paul?" I asked, my voice cracked. "Oh my god, Neens what's wrong?" I couldn't speak. "Nina I'm coming over." He said as he hung up the phone. A few minutes later he barged into my apartment and ran up to my room where he knew I'd be. "Nina what's wrong?" He said as he sat down next to me on my bed. "I broke up with Ian." I looked up at him to see his reaction, thinking he'd be shocked. But he didn't looked shocked at all. "I'm so sorry Neens, what happened?" He asked so calmly. "He asked me to marry him, but i couldn't... I couldn't see myself marrying him." I said, tears in my eyes again. "Don't cry Nina." He said as he took me in his arms and wiped a tear from my eye. "Thank you, Paul." I said as i buried my face into his strong, muscular chest. A few minutes had gone by before we let each other go and he got up from the bed. "Let's go get drunk, you deserve it." He said smiling as he held out his hand for me. I took it and we walked down my stairs towards the door, hand in hand.