|| Chapter 41 ||

[Edited]

----------------------------------------------------

Waking up in a pair of strong and reassuring arms was a thing you were slowly getting accustomed to, since it had happened several times before, but you never stopped appreciating the warm feeling. It was the next morning already and Aaron as well as your two Pokémon still seemed to be sleeping.

You knew you weren't going to fall asleep again, so you figured it would be best if you got out of bed before you managed to wake up the others, and so you did. Upon placing a ver soft and gentle kiss on Aaron's cheek, you carefully slipped your way out of his grip, soon out of the bedsheets as well.

You changed from your boyfriend's oversized shirt back into your everyday, blue knight attire - since you weren't in other kingdoms - and tied your messy hair in a bun for the time being. Taking silent steps and making quiet movements to begin with, you exited Aaron's room successfully, closing the door after you again.

You could have imagined it, but you were certain that there were sounds coming from somewhere. Not only noises, but a rather inviting scent as well, which led you to think that they both originated from the kitchen. You went to investigate and almost regretted doing so when you saw Igrayne preparing breakfast.

Even though she hadn't turned around or anything, you were sure she had noticed your approach and was aware you stood at the entrance of the kitchen. Not wanting to be rude - even though that's exactly what the woman was to you yesterday - you decided to at least greet her: "Good morning..."

"Greetings." Was Aaron's mother's blunt reply and judging by her tone, she still wasn't the happiest about having you in her house. A heavy sigh escaped your lips; This really was your cue to get going. "I wanted to thank you for your warm hospitality. I will be taking my leave now."

As if that affected Igrayne, she turned around in a quick movement, abandoning what she was doing for a moment to look at your back with a slightly desperate expression: "Hold on a moment!" You were surprised at first, but then you started thinking that the woman may had been having some parting insult to deliver before you left. That didn't seem to be the case. Not exactly at least. "You could at least help me with preparing breakfast. And join us when we eat if you must."

You didn't know what good it would do to both you and the woman if you helped and stayed even longer, but refusing certainly would have made things worse, so you did as you were asked. Silence filled the room, giving you the impression that breathing had started being more difficult in your circumstance. That silence was soon interrupted, for better or for worse: "I... did not mean to say those things yesterday."

"It is true that I do not want you to be a knight, but it is for an entirely different reason." Igrayne started speaking as she washed some of the dirty dishes she had no need of anymore. Raising your brow, you directed your gaze in the dark blue-haired woman's direction. You sure weren't expecting an apology after her remarks, much less an explanation. "Both my husband and my son are knights - I hate that! That might be an honorable duty, but I do not like it at all!"

"Every day I have to fear that my most loved ones will not return to me anymore, worry that they might lose their lives protecting someone else's... It is something I simply cannot get used to, nor do I want to!" The indigo-haired woman spoke, her voice faltering at some point. "Six years ago I was told that my husband died in action. You have no idea how I felt when I received those news, and I do not want you to know!"

"Precisely because of that... I understand that my son loves you greatly, and that you feel the same for my Aaron. But I do not want you to lose one another because of this cursed line of work!" You couldn't help but feel a stinging sensation in your chest with every moment that passed. You had always thought that being a knight was something one should be proud of, a great job. Never had you thought about how you being one would affect the close people surrounding you. "I would hate for my son to lose you like I did Uther! I could not stand it if the same happened to you!"