Chapter Forty-Eight

A/N I am so beyond grateful for all of my readers, and I just want to thank you! You guys inspire me to keep writing. Thank you for all of the reads, the votes, and the comments. They all mean the world to me! In the meantime, the words have been flowing, and I'm excited to share this next chapter! Thank you all!

Anne wasn't sure if it was merciful that the ensemble didn't attend many rehearsals, because as painful as it was to be near Diana but not with her, it was something, and Anne couldn't help but feel more at peace with her, but also more anxious, as if her entire body was alive.

Charlie, however, was at nearly every rehearsal. And while it wasn't quite the same, they both had determined that they weren't going to make it awkward. It didn't quite work out like that in the beginning, but soon they fell into a familiar pattern, and Charlie was even beginning to come to term with Gilbert.

"I still think my old geezer voice is perfect," Charlie huffed, his nose scrunched up. Mrs. Spells was in a particular mood that day, probably because her due date was drawing nearer and she looked like she was just about ready to pop. So naturally, the critiques were growing just a bit sharper, even as Ms. Keller anxiously tried to reassure the students. It was funny, Ms. Keller had grown almost frantic, and with every grumpy word passed on from Ms. Spells, Ms. Keller was heaping a thousand praises.

None of those stuck with Charlie, only that his self proclaimed "geezer voice" was way too overdone and offensive.

"To be fair, calling it your old geezer voice is probably part of the problem," Gilbert said drily.

"Shut up, Blythe," Charlie scowled, and Gilbert rolled his eyes. "No one needs your Canadian pacifism."

"That's not a thing."

"Really? Aren't you going to apologize now?"

"No."

"Please. You know it's welling up inside you. It's in your blood. Like maple syrup."

"If you don't quit it with the maple syrup jokes—"

"Can you guys please just stop talking," Anne groaned, sinking down into the floor and curling into herself. She was dealing with a particularly bad stomach ache, and as grateful as she was that they were only marking, it didn't do much to lessen the pain.

Almost immediately, the boys were hovering over her, causing Anne to roll her eyes. "Are you okay?" Charlie asked, even while Gilbert was feeling her forehead like a worried mother hen.

"I'm fine," Anne snapped, slapping away Gilbert's hand. "Just tired and your bickering is annoying."

Gilbert blushed, but Charlie only cocked his head to one side, observing her interestedly. "Well that's a change. I swear you think our 'bickering'" he said, using his fingers for air quotes, "is hilarious."

Anne smirked at this, and she uncurled herself slowly. But then she felt a stabbing pain in her midsection, and she immediately curled up again. "Usually it is. Just not now."

"Alright kids, break's over. Let's get back to work!" Ms. Spells booming voice filled the cafeteria, and Ms. Keller was giving apologetic glances to each kid in turn, but then they rested Anne, and her eyebrows immediately furrowed.

"Anne, are you alright?" Ms. Keller said, reaching the kids in just a few strides.

"I think Anne's sick," Charlie replied matter of factly, which caused Anne to smack his leg.