Chapter Twenty-Nine

A/N Thank you so much for sticking with me this far! I think my writing block has temporarily subsided, and I was able to bust a few more pages out. I also always make sure I'm a few weeks ahead of my updating schedule, so even though I didn't pump out a full chapter this week we're still good for the next few weeks! Anyway, without further ado, thank you loves for reading, and don't forget to vote if you liked it and comment to let me know what you think!

It was the fifth day of Anne's forced hiatus. The doctor had told Anne she had to sit out on the sideline for the next week—which meant not just not going to school, or not reading, or not watching movies, but neither Samantha or Matthew would let her go out to the ocean. Especially since the rain was pelting the ocean and the wind howled, driving itself against the walls of the green-gabled house.

It was not altogether an awful arrangement. Anne thought the rain sounded surprisingly pleasant when she was all wrapped up, with a mug of hot cocoa and a plate of Rachel Lynde's cookies beside her. But there were other times, when she went stir crazy and she wondered if the bedroom door was that much different from a cell door. And of course, every time she jerked upward, on the verge of screaming out, she woke a pounding headache. That meant rushing to get ibuprofen before she puked, and undoubtedly Matthew or Samantha would be somewhere along the way and they would want her to relay the entire story.

Diana sat at the end of Anne's bed, with Anne herself being bundled within blankets that had just been freshly cleaned by Samantha. School had gotten out just an hour before, and Diana had just fully dried out from the walk home. She just couldn't wait for a ride—she needed to see Anne.

"So, anything exciting happen at school?" Anne asked, her head tipped to one side. She had to reach back to fan her hair out again, it was far too uncomfortable to just lay on top of it. It had gotten too matted over the past few days, and Samantha was terrified to even let Anne touch her hair let alone brush it. And it had hurt that one time she tried to brush it out, so there was that.

"It was awful," Diana said, curling her lip. "I hate going to school without you. And Mondays are horrible anyway," she pouted, before flopping beside Anne on the bed.

"At least you had Charlie," Anne smiled, running her fingers through Diana's hair. The way Anne's nails scraped against Diana's scalp felt absolutely delicious for both of them, and Diana just hummed happily. "I hope Matthew lets me go to the beach again soon. We could have picnic, and pretend we're Robinson Crusoe," she grinned.

"Yeah. Hey Anne?" Diana shifted onto her side and rested the side of her head on her arm. "You know, have you ever danced?"

"No," Anne said, although she pursed her lips. "Well, I haven't taken classes or anything like that."

"Oh. Well, the middle school always puts on a musical in the fall, and I just—I think you'd be really good. You should try out," She replied eagerly.

"Really?" Anne hadn't gone to see many musicals—apart from the occasional boys and girls renditions, she had gotten her taste through school libraries and You Tube. But there was something that was simply divine about a musical. It was like a spectacle of colors, a kaleidoscope that blended together in beautiful souls and voices that were simply angelic.

"Yeah, I think it's Beauty and the Beast," Diana grinned. "So are you going to do it?"

"I don't know," Anne shrugged. Just the idea of it would have caused her seven year old heart to flutter, and truthfully all she wanted was to lose herself in something so beautiful. But still, there was still that part that begged her to withdraw into herself.